Demo Site

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

New opportunity, other decisions

As I have been wrestling through the pros and cons of the Licensing job from the dual perspectives of work and family life I have run into some interesting paradoxes. How do I build the farm and an herb business from four thousand miles away vs. how do I build the farm and an herb business if I stay broke? There will be enough money to do all the things required at the farm if I take the job, but I will not be here to get it done. Can I put my life plans on hold for two years while I enjoy the next two years of life?


Our Pastor here tells me, as I have often told my children, that if there is no peace in the decision, keep on doing what you are doing until the Lord gives clear direction. That direction may have come yesterday. I got a call from my boss late yesterday. One of my peers is moving to a different position within ConocoPhillips. He is currently our Training Coordinator. I have offered several times to take over his training responsibilities while maintaining my current assignments. It seems he finally got hold of that thought.

As we talked, it became clear he did not want to loose me to the Licensing group. He would rather I attempt the expanded assignment while delegating greater responsibility within my group. I concur. He asked me to formalize the thought and give him a business plan while he conferred with his boss about the new assignment which would allow me to relocate to Decatur. If both the assignment and the move are approved I told him my preference is to stay but I would be foolish not to listen to the offer made by the Licensing group – if such an offer comes.

I bounced the whole argument off of Mama who was initially deflated by the whole potential change of plans but, after some discussion, came to see the validity of the argument. I cannot say at this point that I would not take the assignment in Licensing, but if the job change and relocation to Decatur becomes another option, that would be my preference.

I do not want to put too much weight on the whole discussions at this point but one of the troubling things about the decision is the nagging sense of impending disaster that looms over us as a nation – as well as each of us individually. I get the impression that it is time to play my cards close to the chest; that money without proximity may not be the best course of action at this point. In other words, it may be the wiser decision to take less but stay close. The time I could give to the family, the farm and a new business my yield greater fruit than money alone could purchase.

Mama made an interesting point that other than the travel and the money associated with the Licensing job, there is a good deal of recognition that accompanies the position. That is generally a career building plus, but it comes at a price and for the moment we are caught between the two options – since neither of the two is a formal offer at this point. Please pray with us: 1) that the right offer will come through, 2) that we allow the Spirit to guide our decision.

Chase is off today and he plans on spending the morning with Makaila and her mom looking at several apartments. It seems that Makaila’s mom (who is nearing delivery) is encouraging her to move out. Her argument, though not steadfast, is that there would be an additional room available for the new baby if hers is vacated. My response to Chase, “that’s just stupid.”

He is trying to pose a counter argument on Makaila’s behalf but I am not sure how much pressure she is under. Since she now works for her dad and is earning about $500 per week, they feel she is more than able to afford the rent – while her older sister continues to live at home. She told me the other day that her parents were not very good with money; point proven. At least both Chase and Makaila see the folly of assuming a years worth of obligation based on one weeks worth of earnings.

0 comments:

Post a Comment