Demo Site

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Move prep, plans being worked out

I spoke briefly with the person who is going to be my greatest resource in my recent change of title and responsibilities and he was more than a little blown away by the scope of work I have taken on. I am too, but I know the Lord will make a way. I just have to be diligent to find it; especially since it is a done deal. I need his help to argue the magnitude of one of the tasks that was done by the person I am replacing. I want no part of it, nor should I have by definition of roles. We will see how the Lord works it out.


Mama and I are making little plans for the move but I have held off on making any big plans until I am told what the company is offering for the relocation. I have a conference scheduled for later today to get those details. There is no sense getting ahead of ourselves. When the move begins to come together it will happen very quickly and I need to be ready; if there is truly any way to be really ready. We have no place to move our stuff to at the farm; no room to even put all of our clothing, much less the furniture, appliances and electronics.

Chase has offered to help store certain items since he and Bo York are considering sharing an apartment in Amarillo. He wants the sofa, the couch, the TV and computer and several other items for use in furnishing the apartment until we have need of it in Bowie. Mama is less inclined to allow that than I am – especially with regard to the couch. But with the expectation that the house in Amarillo will be empty on or before the end of September, it may be a suitable alternative to storing the items in a dusty storage building.

While Mama and Victoria are in Amarillo this weekend I am going to begin work on the shop building. It needs some careful cutting to reshape it to our purpose. I hope to have the brackets and lumber to begin rebuilding it before Grandma and Grandpa get back from West Virginia. With Nate’s help at the end of August, we should be able to get the apartment we are building in it completed by the end of September. Some of the space we create will store our household items until we decide what to do with them.

Yesterday evening Mama and I went to a corner of the property where I have some very large elderberry plants. I was hoping to get some fresh berries off of them to make the syrup we use for colds, but the birds are stripping them as quickly as they ripen. I will have to settle for the plants near the house – if the dogs do not completely destroy them. In their quest to find shade and a cool patch of ground they have dug up and trampled nearly every fleshy plant in the yard. My elderberry plants are especially attractive to them.

On my way across the pasture to the plants I brushed a nettle plant which has raised whelps on my legs. The last time that happened I was wearing a pair of torn jeans and the nettle stung me on my bare skin. That lasted over two weeks before it healed. I need to be very aware of the plants in relation to the grandchildren when they are here with us.

Speaking of that visit, we have already scheduled a trail ride for the grandkids. Mama spoke to Wes last night about how we could get rid of the older horse which is looking very poorly and while she had him on the phone she asked about letting the grandkids ride. He seemed pretty excited about the idea. Their mom and dad are welcome to come also. Some sharing will have to take place because I think we are limited to four horses, but Wes and I will walk, leading the horses of the youngest riders.

It should be fun.

0 comments:

Post a Comment