Demo Site

Monday, July 30, 2012

The ceremony, job offers, work ahead

Mama was talking to Grandma on Saturday afternoon and got the story of the renewal of their vows. I did not get the full story but it seems to have gone very well. All participants from the minister, her brother Jack, to the flower girls and attendants, to the musicians who played and sang, enjoyed both the ceremony and the sentiment. Grandma is not feeling well physically, but this last weekend was an emotional high point for her.


Yesterday they were planning as a family to go to Jack’s church then meet for lunch and the reception at the Rippling Water’s Campground. (The reception for the renewal was postponed to Sunday afternoon.) They will have their cake and punch after lunch. It helped Grandma to stretch out the moment. To top things off Grandpa was given a golf cart by the staff at the campground. It needs some repairs but it should be fun to have on the farm.

I got a call early on Friday from my boss. He offered for me to take over the responsibilities of one of my peers who is currently our training coordinator for our area. He has accepted another job and will be leaving at the end of August. I had suggested the move so I was not overly shocked by the request. My boss has lost three of my peers since he has taken over. This individual will be the forth. I would be the fifth. That is a heavy toll. As a consolation prize, he offered to relocate me to Decatur. The deal involves me either postponing or denying any offer that comes from the licensing group.

Which brings up a difficult question: If I had peace when making the original decision, why do I not feel that peace this morning? I am certain that no matter how the decision had been made, the same flood of doubt and second guessing would overcome me at some point. With the international move, everything would have been done for me, but I still do not believe that is what the Lord wanted of me.

That option was a “dark horse” candidate, an aside rather than an opportunity I had been praying for. The move to Decatur, and more importantly the farm, was the object of our continual prayer. However, the move to the farm is fraught with difficulty and expense – which I will incur out of my own pocket. That is not necessarily a bad thing because everything done in the relocation will only move us toward our goal at the farm, but it is a lot of work that we will have to do. Some of it I am looking forward to, some of it not so much.

Nate, Cori and the kids will be coming over at the end of August so Grandpa and I will have help in getting the shop and apartment finished – and we will need the help. I have drawn up plans for the apartment and it should be relatively simple to accomplish as a part of the shop. Once that project is done, we will be ready to move – rather we will be better able to move. It is still moving Mama to an ever shrinking area. But who needs all of this stuff anyway?

During the sermon last night the preacher said that the Lord is teaching him to live like he is leaving. I am not completely sure how to apply that idea to what we are doing at the farm but I like the overall inclination of thought; that what we are to be doing with our lives ought to have an eternal focus rather than building ourselves a kingdom here. There are certain needs that this life and this world impose on us, but meeting those needs is never to become the focus of our lives. We should always be ready and willing to pack up, leave everything behind and move on when God calls.

When I think of Grandma and Grandpa, my mom and dad, Mama and I, I see a pattern of believers who practice this thought.

This world is not my home,

I’m just a passing through.

My treasures are laid up

Somewhere beyond the blue.

The angels beckon me from Heaven’s open door

And I can’t feel at home in this world anymore.

I want to leave this world better for my having been here, but I will be leaving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment