Demo Site

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Jake home safe, a second no, lower back pain


Home again and back to work. I had to drive to Elk City, OK on Tuesday morning so I could add my presence to a system we are implementing within our part of ConocoPhillips. It was a good thing I was there if for no other reason than to support my group of reports, but it did make for a long day. The same process began at my office in Decatur yesterday afternoon and continued into today.

Meanwhile, Mama saw Jake off at the airport yesterday. She and he both had a teary goodbye as he boarded the plane. He was a little more reserved than Mama was since the entire passenger contingent was waiting for the unaccompanied minors to get on the plane first. Jake was aware everyone was watching. Mama did not care. I have to smile at the bond there and realize it may hold that little fellow close to God when nothing else can.

He got home safely. He called Mama when he landed and his mom called later that evening to update the information that only the two of them are concerned about; does it look like he gained weight while he was with us, does he look any more tanned, does he seem taller to you? He did in fact seem taller to Melissa, but negative on the other numerous questions.

While we were on vacation I got the email from the Licensing group that they did not need my services. I was pretty disappointed. I was really disappointed that they did not interview me again. I realize we never get a second chance to make a first impression, but it would have been nice to be further interviewed on specific needs they have that I could have helped with. Oh, well.

At least one person’s mind is made up so I will abandon that initiative. I have been in the situation before where one person can stonewall any positive outcome for a particular situation. In Seadrift I told a supervisor who was opposing my move to the Licensing group there that I believed God wanted me to have that job and that if he would not change his mind in opposing me, God would have to remove him from my way. Three days later he was forced into another job. One week later I was moved into the Licensing group. He told me later that he had no idea what happened but it seemed a strange coincidence. Imagine that.

I do not feel as strongly about this job as I did about that one so I do not sense the same urgency to remove the opposition from my path, but it is disappointing to be told I am not wanted at a post I could very clearly do well in. Meanwhile back at the office, I am slowly catching up to the email traffic I got when I was out of the office. By the end of next week I should be there.

I bent over the sink to wash my face this morning at 5 a.m. and my back would not allow me to complete the task. I almost collapsed. The pain was pretty severe and has continued through the day. After the amount of time we spent in tense driving situations over the last ten to twelve days I was not shocked by the protest in my lower back.

But I am not at all happy with the revolt; there is too much to do.

0 comments:

Post a Comment