Demo Site

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Jake


Mama and I found our way into and out of Dallas Love airport yesterday. I was not without the usual dramatics of having Mama copilot through heavy traffic but it turned out to be very simple into and out of the airport. We were there to meet Jake who is going to spend the month with us. We got there about an hour early. That was not intentional but the flight was delayed about a half hour.

The airline let both of us go through security to meet Jake at the gate. That turned out to be a good thing because Mama left the gate area to get a green tea from Starbucks because she assumed we had plenty of time. She was next in line to order when I met her with Jake. Of course, the two of them were very glad to see each other. They talked non-stop for the next several hours.

Mama was in the process of telling him about the farm, the animals and the activities, and mentioned fishing in the big pond. That one sunk in with Jake. No matter where we stopped after that, he asked if we were stopping at Wal-Mart next to pick up the worms I had mentioned we would need for bait. Four stops later, as he and Mama were talking to Victoria, I got the worms. Jake, Mama and I did go fishing later that evening. Each of them caught a pretty good sized catfish. I was the only one with worm goo and fish smell on my hands but all three of us had fun.

We were talking as we traveled about fishing and Jake’s experience fishing with his dad. He was not speaking too happily about the forays along the rivers and lakes of New Jersey so I asked why. He relayed that the only bad part of fishing with his dad is that they had to eat what they caught. Jake, it turns out is not a seafood or fish lover, he only likes crab legs and calamari.

He went into a big explanation of how he discovered those two seafood selections suited his palate. It was directly due to his cousin Julie. “Everything she told me I would like I really did.” He explained. “She has gone through all her childhood stages so she can really relate to where I am.” When Mama asked how old cousin Julie was, he replied matter of factly, “Twenty one.”

Jake’s mission while he is here is to help Victoria with math as she studies for the Pharmacy Tech test she will be taking next month. Since the majority of the math involved in the test will be simple arithmetic, he may actually do her some good. Time will tell.

For now, Mama’s activity level has at least doubled.

0 comments:

Post a Comment