Demo Site

Monday, July 1, 2013

Hot work, Jake comes tomorrow


After extreme high temperatures last week the cooler weather that came yesterday was a welcome relief. Mama was worrying over me all day Saturday. The temperature was a little over one hundred degrees and there was almost no breeze flowing through the apartment but it was not too unpleasant. What little wind we did have blew the plastic I had carefully covered the bedroom floor with up into a bunch. (Not a good moment.)

Victoria and I worked most of the morning finishing the sheetrock on the ceiling in the kitchen area. She worked taping and floating the closet in the bedroom while I measured and made the necessary cuts. (I had to cut one piece twice.) I asked her to start in the closet in order to refresh her memory on the process before we got to the more visible areas of the bedroom. She actually did quite well although she was not able to finish the closet before the heat got to her.

I soaked my way through two sets of cloths while I finished up the rough in of the sheetrock. With it all in place we can move on to getting it floated out and ready for paint. My hope is to be ready for paint after the long weekend I have over the 4th. I would get Mama started painting but we are going to pick up Jake at the airport tomorrow so I am not sure if I want that much help with painting in the apartment.

I took the time to hook up two outlets in the shop in addition to the one we have been working off of. One is for the freezer, which Mama cleaned out early Saturday morning. The other is a duplex I cut into one of the shop walls so I could set up a work table without having extension cords stretched all over the shop. It worked out pretty well. In the not too distant future it will serve the same area in the shop for the start of a permanent work bench.

Grandpa was reluctant to run anything into the breaker box before we were completely done in the apartment – painting and all. I have a slightly different approach and I do not necessarily like to have multiple cords run throughout the work area. I did get bitten (electrically speaking) while I was hooking up one leg of the new outlet so I had to cut the power to the shop momentarily, but it was a good reminder for me of the potential dangers involved in wiring in breakers.

I will be off tomorrow in so I can ride with Mama to Dallas Love Airport to get Jake. He will be with us for a month. Next week is a trip to the panhandle so I can do interviews for a position I am hiring in Dumas. TX. Soon after that is our vacation to Florida. Even with all of the travel, I am afraid his time with us will seem a little boring since he is slated to go on vacation to Mexico with his family as soon as he returns to New Jersey.

Oh, well. We will all have to make due.

0 comments:

Post a Comment