Demo Site

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Maggie and Aaron, apartment notes, IKEA


Maggie went to the hospital yesterday at about 2:30 a.m. local time. We were in contact with Aaron and Maggie through most of the day yesterday as the hospital let her body work out the final stages of the pregnancy. Late yesterday evening they gave her the meds to strengthen the uterine contractions and the baby was born about 12:30 local time. Mama got the call here about 3:45 a.m. Aaron texted me at 3:43 “Have a beautiful little girl.” Praise the Lord!

I still contend that in the average walk of life, the birth of a child is the most commonplace of God’s miraculous interventions in our world. We tend to look at it as it happens in our country but there are children born today in much more primitive settings in countries that do not enjoy our health care advantages.

Though their survival rate after birth may be lessened because of life conditions, their birth is perhaps more miraculous than those assisted by doctors and nurses. Those in our society who see children as a burden rather than a blessing have a skewed focus on God’s purpose for our lives.  The caveat is that, in our own society, so many are born into fatherless homes. Not so for our little granddaughter. She is number four for me and Mama, number one for the Ledfords. Pictures will be forthcoming.

Mama and I worked in the apartment last night assembling the cabinet we got at IKEA and getting the faucet put on the sink – also from IKEA. It was a hot, muggy night but we were running the portable air conditioner in the apartment. That will be all we do for the remainder of this year. I do not think we have too many oppressively hot days left in 2013 so we will hold off getting a window a/c until the spring.

I also put up the first part of the filler I needed in the bathroom for the shower faucet. Mama and I bought two pieces of tile – usually use for backsplash – and I cut them to fit over the faucet. Together they will fill out the space I need to assemble the external decorative parts of the unit. It should come out pretty well.

I had to leave everything drying overnight; the cabinet included. So depending on what I have to do this evening I could start getting the kitchen set up. Mama is really ready for that to happen. I had planned on going back to IKEA Thursday after work but we are expecting some heavy rains – Praise the Lord! – so I may have to go today. I need to pick up the countertops for the kitchen and I have to drive the little tuck since they will not fit in the Flex. Since the countertops will be raw wood I want to avoid getting them wet.

 Now that we know the way to the IKEA store in Frisco, I can only assume we will be going quite often.

0 comments:

Post a Comment