Demo Site

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Three steps forward, two steps back


Monday nights are not usually a good night for me to get much work done at the farm. I do not get to bed on most Sunday nights until well after 10 pm so I am usually more tired on the following night. Such was the case last night. I did get the shelving unit put I the closet but I did not have the wood I need to get the rods up. That is what Mama was waiting for last night so she could start putting some of her newly unboxed clothing in our new closet.

I did get the shower plumbing completed and I also finished the bathroom vanity so we have water to use in cleaning the apartment as we go forward. But last night was also a bad evening because we discovered that the water coming out of the hot water heater stinks like rotten eggs. It took Mama and I back to the days when we lived with Grandma and Grandpa on their farm in West Virginia. Their well water had the same smell. Hopefully as we flush out the water in the hot water heater we will get rid of that smell. They lived with it for a couple decades on their farm.

I also did some research on an alarm we are getting on the double oven and it was bad news. The repair that the alarm signals will cost over $300 and I am not willing to pay that. So, Mama and I will have to get another double oven to replace that one. All in all, I did not do so well in the purchase I made a while ago that got us that double oven, a dishwasher (that is missing parts), a vent range microwave oven (which we gave away) and the gas cooktop (which we are going to use).

We still have the big cast iron sink that we are not going to use in the apartment but all the other items will have to be bought again. That is not good news because we have no money to get those items right now; another delay. It was another one of those three steps forward, two steps back moments. Eventually it will all work out, but I was a little discouraged last night.

Mama and I are supposed to take a trip with the older people at the church this weekend. I am not sure we will have the money to do it. I was not thinking about the trip when I agreed to let Mama have the exterminator come out yesterday and spray the mobile home and the apartment, but we wanted to get it done before Grandma and Grandpa got back tomorrow.

Now I hear they are thinking about going back to West Virginia in late October because they feel Norman needs their help more than we do. They could be right but it surprises me a little. I get the feeling that Grandpa has given up on Texas since his initial plans did not work out. He is a difficult person to understand.

That would leave me without a vehicle to haul two of the three trailers we have on the farm but somehow we will manage.

0 comments:

Post a Comment