Demo Site

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Steady working


I finally got Mama’s closet done last night but it was too dark to take a picture by the time I got done. We also put a wax sealer and finish on the butcher block counter tops. I think it looked pretty good. Again, it was too much on the low light side to really see it well. I also got the shower caulked up and ready for use. It was a pretty good night.

Tonight is my long evening at work. We have a meeting that usually keeps me until a little after 5 pm (one Wednesday night per month). It is not a bad thing, just part of the job. So this evening I will get home, shave and shower, get dressed for church and get out the door to return to Decatur in less than an hour. It keeps things interesting.

Grandma and Grandpa are due to arrive this evening. All the routines we have established over the last two months or so will have to change as Grandma takes back over the kitchen. It will all work out because we have been there before, but it has been a nice break with fewer occupants in the mobile home and free reign in the kitchen; especially since Mama, Victoria and I are trying to get our diet much closer to healthy.

I took a few minutes at work yesterday to arrange the pictures I have on file into a slideshow showing the progression of the shop and apartment as we have built it. I did not have the pictures Mama has on her phone nor the ones Victoria has on her camera but I had enough for Mama to take to Wal-Mart and get prints to show the old folks we will be traveling with this weekend. They, like her, like to have the printed pictures in hand. (Here I only show the beginning and the present.)

I need to get to the point where I can devote some of my time and attention to the farm. With winter coming – and we are praying for a wet one – I need to be free to fix up the driveway and road. It is in great shape right now, but when we do start getting sustained rains it can get bad in a hurry. There are two places of concern and if I can get those graveled early it will save us some frustration when we do get the rain we are praying for.

There are still fences to build, replace and repair and I want to get started on the sheepfold. I am still convinced that we can make as much money with sheep as we can with cattle and since they require less land and feed, we should be able to accommodate them easily on only a small part of the property, but I need a very secure place to keep them since we have such a large coyote population here.

Mama also wants pigs so that is on the list of chores to get done this fall. When we bought the farm, this is what I signed up for.

0 comments:

Post a Comment