Demo Site

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Working in the heat, guineas


I think three days of work on the apartment was about all Mama could handle. Friday was the worst. The temperature was 112®F. It was about eight degrees cooler in the apartment but that was not enough to make it less oppressive. There was a slight breeze but we still had to take frequent breaks. I got off work early so I got there and got to work in the hottest part of the day.

Saturday was another scorcher. Victoria mucked out the calf lot while Mama and I worked on painting. She cannot handle the smell of the paint. Fortunately the smell of manure does not bother her. We finished painting the walls in the apartment about lunch time so we took an afternoon break and went back to work in the evening. For a special treat I took them to Spicy Mexico for lunch.

All three of us needed the break on Sunday and we made the most of it. We stopped at Lowe’s after church and bought a toilet, light fixture and sink faucet to finish outfitting the bathroom. Mama was hoping to get the cabinets in the kitchen and the bathroom set up on Monday but that was not going to happen. I would have needed much more help to get all that done, besides I really wanted to redo the floors. They took a beating during the sheetrock phase of construction.

Monday Mama and I got all the painting and cutting in finished. I guess we were both pretty tired because we did not do a very good job cutting the top on the wall at the ceiling. I will have to go back over it at some point in the future.

 It had rained that morning and the temperature was down to 91®F but the humidity was near 70%. I put the portable air conditioner in the apartment Monday morning to help mitigate the heat but it was very limited help. It gave us someplace cooler to stand when we needed but not much more than that.

Around lunchtime on Monday Victoria told Mama she would really like to go shopping for some clothes and I thought that would be a great idea for the two of them while I spent the afternoon cleaning the floor and getting it prepped for a final coat of sealant. They left as I was mopping the floor for the second time. It took two more times mopping and two more times sweeping before it was clean enough to apply the sealant. I finished the floor a little after 5 pm.

I was just cooling off when Mama called and asked me to go check the water for the horse and the chickens. They both needed refills so I took care of that and while I was out I filled the troughs for the cattle also. I looked into the guinea nest Mama found last week and there were four eggs in it. I left them for Mama to deal with.

She has been giving them to a lady who runs a burrito stand in Montague. Rosa, raises the guineas and sells them. I am assuming she has had some pretty good success. She was as excited about the eggs as Mama was. We will find out if they hatch or not in a few weeks.

If they do that would really excite Mama.

0 comments:

Post a Comment