Demo Site

Monday, January 27, 2014

Mama’s dental work, cleaning up the farm, Sunday morning


Last Friday I took off so I could get Mama to and from her dental appointment. She was a nervous wreck but she came through the procedure without any difficulty at all. The dentist had a difficult time getting the roots of the tooth to come out but he eventually got all the leftover pieces to wiggle free. Mama was pleased that it had gone well but she was even more pleased as she went through the day, and the weekend, pain free.

She has had relatively little pain from the extraction. The only part of the procedure that has her concerned is the slight injury done to her lover lip. It was pried upon at some point in wrenching the tooth from her mouth and there is a place that looks like it may become a fever blister. Other than that she is ecstatic that that part is done. We are not looking to replace the tooth at this time because the price is enormous, but time will tell.

On Saturday we all worked together in the calf barn. As we were mucking out the area where we have the creep feeder I asked Mama how long it had been since we had cleaned out the area. I remembered her and Victoria doing it in the past but since Grandpa and Grandma left in October it has not been done again. Four months of manure and excess hay had been compressed on the floor and it was a chore to get it up. We had to take a break a little more than half way through.

We got six loads out of the large stall and another from the watering area at the entrance to the barn. It was all put on the garden so that I can till it into the soil over the next several weeks. The only bad part of the work we were able to get done is that we really needed to go down another three or four inches to get to the dirt we should have uncovered in the cleanup; that’s for another weekend.

I took time early in the morning to get the trim completed in the apartment. At least I used the remainder of the trim I had from the purchase I made months ago. I ended up a piece short of completing the entire apartment. I got the most obvious areas and the areas with the longest pieces. As is the case with wood, I ended up with enough little pieces that if I could have coalesced then into one piece I could have easily finished. Unfortunately I will have to buy one piece to really be done.

Later in the day I rearranged the access we have to the calf lot from the driveway. I put the panel we have been moving to drive into the area to the side with the fence that comes across the back yard of the farm house and put the gate in place to be hung for our access from this point on. It will be much better to work with as we gear up for spring and summer. I need to do the same thing on the access to the pasture from the calf lot but I do not have the gates available for that at the moment.

Having the posthole auger made the work very easy. I had the two holes dug in a matter of minutes and at a depth that I can rarely accomplish with the manual variety. I still needed the manual ones to clean out the hole a bit – but not to dig it to depth. The power auger should make our coming fencing job much easier.

Sunday morning we had two people saved. One young mom rode the bus with her three young children. The other, a middle aged man had been with us Friday night at RU. He had left before our director had had the time to speak with him about salvation but he promised then to come back Sunday morning. We were praying hard that he would come – and he did.

Lee spent quite a bit of time with him that morning and he prayed with Lee there in the Sunday School room. It was a great morning.

0 comments:

Post a Comment