Demo Site

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Walking better, closing doors, special services


Yesterday evening I finally felt able to walk well enough that I could get out and help Mama with her normal chores. It was a little painful navigating the very uneven ground in the calf lot. Early in the winter we let Misty into that lot to facilitate Mama getting feed and water to her. During her stay there she left deep imprints everywhere she walked because the ground was very wet at that time. I will have to get the disc and drag out to work the ground to a more level state at some point in the very near future.

I was able to haul a couple bales of hay to the pig building where we are storing it for Misty. That will have to change soon since Mama and I are planning on getting a couple piglets next month. When we put that building back in service for pigs we will have to build a new shelter for Misty and her feed. I am in the process of getting those plans together now. I see nothing wrong with feeding her on the ground and letting her shelter under the large oak trees. Mama sees things differently.

As I was looking over the chicken coop Mama came up to me with one of her more friendly chickens in her arms- cuddling the bird and talking to it as though it could understand. I knew what was coming. “I want to see if we could make a pet of one of the chickens like Maggie’s friend.” I looked at her and answered, “If you want to make sure Grandma and Grandpa never come back to the farm to stay with us, go right ahead.” I think the idea is a real looser. Chickens are really messy birds – even if you diaper them.

I met with my boss yesterday to discuss raises and ratings. I let him know at that time that I was no longer interested in the Licensing job. The prospect of rotating 28 days on (away from home) and 28 days off (back at home) is not attractive to me. The idea was never overly appealing but I saw it as an opportunity to advance in my career as well as an opportunity to take Mama to Australia. There would be other travel involved, some international and some domestic, but all in all, I do not think those periods of separation would be good for Mama or me.

He was at once relieved and disappointed. He realizes this job, although a very good job, may not be enough to keep me engaged at a level that will keep me interested and at peak performance long term. At the moment there is nothing on the horizon that would not require a move away from the farm and that really does not interest me at all. We will see what the Lord brings to us in the months or years to come.

Tonight we will have a special guest at church. The Walker family will be there with the entire crew. They are the ones with the Wild West Vacation Bible School, complete with a miniature horse that does a wealth of tricks. They will be leading the services tonight and tomorrow night. It should be fun, but I have no idea what will be required of me as song leader.

That too should be fun.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment