Demo Site

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Winter storms, Mama’s mirror


Last night I went to bed pretty early because on Sunday night (read that ‘Monday morning”) Mama and I were wakened by a wind that slammed into the north side of the apartment and shop. It sounded like a truck had driven into the building. That happened a little before 3 a.m. On the way home Sunday night Mama had been reading the winter storm advisory but the warning did not mention any precipitation – only the velocity of the wind.

I did not pay too much attention since the winds normally blow around the thirty mile per hour mark. Forty miles per hour did not impress my consciousness in any threatening manner. When I did get out of bed two hours after the rude awakening and was listening to the weather reports on the drive to Decatur they were reporting sustained winds of fifty miles per hour with gusts over sixty. That would have caught my attention. Either way, there did not seem to be any damage to anything on the farm – buildings or otherwise. Not at all like I was imagining as I lay awake that morning listening to it try to overturn the shop building.

South of us along the Gulf Coast the weather is a wintery mix this morning. Cori, Nate and the kids are likely to get snow and sleet this morning. As Cori announced the weather change to the kids yesterday, she excitedly told them that there might be snow tomorrow. “The boys perked up and asked, “Are we going to Grammy’s farm?” (That’s where they came expecting snow over Christmas.) They were disappointed to hear that the snow was coming to them; so much for that exciting moment.

I did manage to hang our bathroom mirror last night. We got it back from a lady at church who wrote a verse on it. Mama attached some shells to the mirror and she did a really good job on the arrangement and type of shells she chose. The words of the Bible verse are written between the arranged shells on the open part of the frame. It looks amazing.

The verse is from Nehemiah 9:6 “Thou, even thou, art Lord alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.” It is not the entire verse. It reads, “Thou, even thou, art Lord alone; thou hast made the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all.”

It was a chore to hang it because of the imbedded metal tabs on the back of the mirror. I had to take the light over the bathroom sink apart and remove the towel rack we have to the left of the sink to get it properly placed. It came out pretty good but I had to trim the towel rack before I could put it back up. It took me over an hour to get it all done.

Last week when I told Mama it might take me a couple hours to get it done she thought I was being facetious. As she watched what I had to go through to get it done she realized I was telling her the truth. We had to turn the light over the mirror to point to the ceiling because the frame of the mirror is pretty thick and the globes for the lights would not fit the fixture with them hanging downward. It changed the entire look of the bathroom. And I got to shave looking into a mirror much larger than the little one we have been using waiting on the mirror to be finished. That was a nice change since I had to crouch slightly to see myself in the smaller mirror.

We will enjoy it while we can.

0 comments:

Post a Comment