Demo Site

Monday, January 6, 2014

Weekend report


Mama and I had a great weekend. I got a lot of little things done on the farm in the morning and Mama and I went to Wichita Falls that evening. Saturday was pleasant, weather wise. The temperature got to almost seventy degrees; a far cry from this morning when it was 13®F. There was a strong north wind blowing throughout the day and we knew the temperatures were predicted to drop over Sunday and Monday, but it gave me enough better weather to paint a sealant on the chicken coop to try to seal it against the rain that has been getting into the nesting area.

It was not a particularly difficult job but one I had been putting off because it is a messy job. Just getting the sealant remixed after a year of sitting in the shed was enough to make a significant mess. All in all, I got it done without too much getting on me or my clothing but the time I spent on that roof showed me there is more I need to do to secure the roof if it is going to last another couple of years. I am not sure when I will get the rest of the repairs done but the permeability should be tested this coming weekend if the forecasts are accurate.

Mama and I ate at the Genghis Grill in Wichita Falls. It is the first time we had been there but it was recommended by several people at the church. It was a fun experience. It usually is with Mama. As the waitress seated us we were given a card about the size of a business card. We had to circle one item on the card that would determine what starch would be used in our meal and select the size bowl our meal would be served in. Mama and I chose brown rice for the base and a small bowl for the meal size.

We then entered a cafeteria style line where the meats, vegetables, spices and sauces were chosen. The bowl we were given to select out food to be cooked was smaller than the serving bowl we had selected for our meal and Mama pointed that out, in Mama’s usual timid manner, to the person tending the concourse. That person smiled and explained that the smaller bowl she had in her hand was for the raw food items only. The rice would be added to the cooked food and served in the larger bowl. Several people in the line close to us really enjoyed the exchange.

When Mama moved from the meats to the vegetable portion of the line she was already out of room in her bowl so she upgraded to the next larger size to accommodate the mass of vegies she had her eye on. The patrons in line near us got a chuckle out of that exchange also. The larger bowl was still piled to overflowing by the time we presented our selections to the cook.

What ended up in front of us after it was cooked and added to the brown rice was a really good meal without the temptation of overeating that a buffet offers. I stuck with the small bowl while Mama ended up with the medium – due to portion of meats selected. In spite of the fact that she combined, curry, crushed red pepper and “Dragon” sauce to her meal, Mama ate it all. She had to have the waitress get her some dried noodles to munch to temper the spices in her food, but she made it work. She did not need her coat for several hours following that meal.

Church was great. I am thrilled that God had placed us here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment