Demo Site

Monday, July 5, 2010

Fireworks, A day off for Mama, Bends in the Road

My daughter tells us that she, her husband and our grandchildren went with friends to see the local fireworks on Sunday night. Like our church, the evening services started and finished early to accommodate those who were planning to attend the festivities. The usual entourage included several families with children of similar age to our grandchildren.
In Milton this year, the fireworks display was staged on the Blackwater River so there would be plenty of area of unobstructed view. All was set, darkness was coming and the children knew that something exciting was going to happen. My granddaughter was with her usual crowd of four or five boys her age (four to six years old) when the first streak of sparks shot into the darkening sky.
The excited parents were coaching the little ones to “Watch!” “Look” and “Get ready!” The problem was that the brilliant flash of color that captured everyone’s attention was quickly followed by an explosion that shook the air and sent all of the little boys screaming and running for cover. Turns out that the unobstructed view did nothing the block the percussion of the sound waves of the fireworks as they detonated above the crowd.
I am pleased to report that my grandchildren were unaffected by the horror that gripped their friends – at least this time.
Today was as day off for Mama since there were no children to care for. So we went shopping for the church and as I napped (since I am working the night shift), she went shopping with our daughter. Happily I only lost about $50 for the day and that’s only because the church will reimburse us for supplies we bought for them.
Fortunately, I have the only vehicle with me at work so her shopping was limited to what happened in the afternoon. She did manage a late afternoon visit to the pool. I can’t complain; the temperature was over 100ºF. Good for Mama’s tan, not so much for the grass. She will be busier tomorrow, so the spending should go down.
We are at another bend in the road. I have seen this intersection in the distance and was a little worried about what decisions it would bring. Like most times when God is working out things for our good and His Glory, we are rarely totally prepared. As things unfold I can be surer of what to say. Right now I am not even too sure what to pray. But I can say this, with God it is rarely about the monetary compensation but rather about obedience to the assignment given.
It has always been God who supplied my needs. I have just gotten comfortable with him using big corporations to do so.

0 comments:

Post a Comment