Demo Site

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Flying insects and labor pains, Blake Robert arrives

My wife has always been fun to scare. Not the heart attack kind of scare, just the reaction to a sudden startling move or noise has always been amply rewarding. She has always reacted with the actions and noises that those of us who scare or startle for fun find very gratifying.
So this afternoon when my daughter asked her husband, our son-in-law to remove a mud dauber nest from above her patio access door, she assumed it would just be knocked down. My son-in-law had very different ideas. He grabbed the hose and set the nozzle for maximum force on the straight stream and blasted the nest into the adjacent yard.
My wife and daughter, unaware of his plans, were just sitting down to eat breakfast at the table which sits very close to the door that was going to be water blasted. Mama said they both jumped and screamed as the door to the patio seemed to explode right beside them. My daughter, none too happy about it talked to her husband in the way that wives talk to their husbands when that sort of thing happens.
My guess is that Mama’s reaction scared our daughter far more than she herself would have been unnerved by the incident on her own. Anyway, they both were soon laughing about it and began to tease that the scare could have put my daughter in labor. Mama called me to relate the incident and we both had a good laugh.
Several hours later the contractions began. By noon they were calmly talking about going to the hospital. By 2 p.m. they were at the hospital and at 4:10 p.m. our third grandchild, our second grandson was born, about a week ahead of schedule. Blake Robert, 6 pounds 10 ounces and 19 inches tall. (Women say 19 inches long, but that seems odd to me.)
All because of a wasp nest? Who knows? But I will make a mental note not to scare any of my daughters or daughter’s-in-law in their last two weeks of a full-term pregnancy.
Congrats Mommy and Daddy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment