Demo Site

Friday, August 17, 2012

Timing, shopping, the dogs

It began to dawn on me yesterday that if we stay the four days in Amarillo next week as we are intending, then we will not be ready at all to begin work on the shop as I had hoped. There will be plenty to do since the hay will need to be cut and baled, but the work I had hoped would be under way may not be ready. Oh, well. We will have fun and get things done that can be done. It all starts next week on Friday evening.


I have meetings all day today in Decatur. They will be some of the final meetings I will have to take over the training responsibilities. I am still pushing back on some of the duties being left by the person I am replacing but the assignment of those is still up in the air. That makes some people very nervous.

Cori was telling Mama last night that the grandkids are excited about coming to Papi’s house. I am just thankful to have something attached to me in their minds. To this point everything associated with Mama and I belonged to Grammy. Now I have an entire dwelling with my name on it. I feel rich.

Mama is going to go to the outlet malls in Gainesville today. She knows we are still limited on cash but the exercise will do her good. She told me what she is looking for but I do not really remember other than a certain style of shoes – as if she really needs another pair. She is looking for something more comfortable that is closed toed since she feels like she is hurting her feet by constantly wearing sandals and flip-flops.

When I got to the farm yesterday I was greeted by two very dirty dogs. The rain is a blessing to us and the ground. The mud it brings is less inspiring. The dogs do not mind at all being filthy dirty. The wet ground and cooler temperatures are a noticeable relief to them. However the two dogs we consider inside dogs make it a challenge to keep them clean enough to still be inside.

Dodger cannot decide whether or not he is an inside dog. He has no problem lying in the wet dirt after getting groomed and bathed. He does not see the problem in swimming in the horse’s water trough them licking himself clean while sitting on the couch. Rosie is a neat freak of sorts and would not generally resort to any attempt to bring the great outdoors inside – other than an occasional roll in something scratchy or smelly.

We have not let the guineas out yet for fear of how the dogs will react to them. Chasing the chickens is quite a game to them but the chickens do not normally fly to get away so the chase is prolonged. Neither of the big dogs has showed signs of wanting to kill a chicken – not like Dodger has – but they are still dogs and we will have to find a way to teach them to get along.

Maybe that will suffice for Grant. He wants to get a cat that will fight with our dogs then watch them become friends so he can live out a book his mommy reads to him. If we can convince him that is happening between the dogs and the birds, it could suffice. I do not want a cat.

Not until we have a barn.

0 comments:

Post a Comment