Demo Site

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Travel, horses, accidents too close, short on time

I was traveling yesterday for most of the day. I left the farm at 5 a.m. and drove about four hours to Elk City, OK. After spending five hours there I drove to Amarillo – about two and one half hours. I was worn out last night. I was supposed to wait up for Chase but I did not make it. I will have to get together with him later today. I think he is working a much earlier time slot.


Mama called last night to tell me they had gotten a lot of rain. The weather app I use was predicting over an inch through the night. That should liven up our dead, parched ground. The rain is predicted to continue through Friday morning. It makes a bit of a mess for us when the ground is muddy, but the benefits far outweigh the mess. Besides, over time we will grow grass to cover the muddy spots and cover buildings to house the things we need to better protect from the wet. It’s all good. Of course, it is easier for me this morning since I am in my office in Borger.

After Mama kept the horses rather than let them go to David I have felt she regretted the decision so as we talked briefly yesterday I asked about it. I think we are back to letting them go even if Rain is pregnant and even it Toi ends up being worth something. Rain gave us Misty and Toi was given to us so we are amply paid back for the two if we let them go. If David and his family get a blessing out of the two of them, it is all the better. The current wet conditions will slow any transfers so we will continue to feed and care for the horses as we always have until they are gone.

Wes Bowman stopped by Monday evening to look over the farm because he would like to board some of his mares there. Mama is familiar with two of the three he suggested bringing and she is very excited. The two she knows are easy to ride so the hope is that she and Victoria will have opportunity to do just that. It will also put them close when the grandkids are here. They will think they are on a petting zoo/ dude ranch for their vacation.

Mama and I were supposed to look at a house in Montague that would be a good pattern for the metal home Mama has decided we want to build. We were waiting at the house for the realtor to come when Victoria called to tell us that a bad wreck on Hwy 59 had slowed her up in her drive to work. She was not involved but it had happened just before she left the farm because there were no emergency services on the scene and the traffic had only just began to work around it.

As it turned out, one of those involved in the wreck was the realtor that was on her way to meet us. We found out as we called to see if she was on her way since we had been waiting about half an hour. She was okay but the accident totaled her car. Mama and I felt a little bad since the meeting was to look at how the house was set up, not to buy it. Mama had been very honest with her about our intentions so she was aware that we were not potential buyers, but we still felt bad for her.

With this week almost over – at least, that is how I see it – I am looking to next week and all the activity that is coming at us during that time. Grandma and Grandpa will be traveling back to the farm with a loaded trailer (baler included). Mama and I will be in Amarillo for several days to participate in Central Baptist’s Missions Conference – if Grandma and Grandpa make it back as anticipated. Nate, Cori and the kids will be arriving at the end of the week. Joshua will be traveling to Dallas by bus at the same time. We will pick him up and get him to the farm for the week.

We have a lot to do in a few days. Mama and Victoria will be rearranging in the mobile home to accommodate everyone. Mama and I will be moving our bed to Bowie to help in that rearranging. I must get the building to the point that we can put everyone to work on the initial construction. We may have hay to put up in addition to the construction projects. Additionally, I have to keep hammering away at learning my new assignments while keeping up with my current ones.

We are getting short on time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment