Demo Site

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Hen party, rain and hail, extra effort

Mama and I managed to be out late last night. The church had a get together for the women and I took Mama to it since she has problems driving at night. Last night had her especially worried because of the severe storms we were getting. While I was at work yesterday we got over an inch of rain which was accompanied by marble sized hail. It was very impressive but something Mama did not want to deal with in transit.


I spent some extra time in the office as she ate and studied with friends. Each person attending last night’s function was to bring something that was made using a new recipe. Mama took some lemon cookies and a banana cake. They are studying the cults in America and what exactly makes them a cult along with a brief overview about what they believe. It is good information. A little understanding can eliminate a lot of confusion.

We did not get much of the rain at the farm yesterday but we are thankful for what we did get. At this point I think we could use about four inches a month for several months to bring us back up to some semblance of life supporting moisture in the ground. As for the tanks, they are lower than when we bought the farm over a year ago. When I look at the picture of the big pond overflowing, taken last spring, I can at least pray it will be at that level again. I am not sure if it will ever stay at that level, but I do not want to lose all hope.

In a herculean effort to help it remain at a higher level Grandpa cut out all of the creek willows that have grown on the pond dam for years. His reasoning is that each one was pulling hundreds of gallons from the pond every year. Cutting them down will stop that draw of water from the reservoir. He also worries about animals using the roots of the trees as a framework for burrows that will eventually weaken the dam. I have to agree with both ideas although they are not east to quantify.

I have developed a habit of being at work early and on many mornings I am the only one in the Decatur office for at least the first half hour. I have noticed lately that several other workers are starting to adopt my practice of getting an early start. Two of the operations bosses regularly arrive a 6:30 a.m. and I think the intent of those here as early as I am to get into place before their supervisors get here. That is a good practice. I hope it gets noticed by the people who can reward the extra effort.

I will certainly put my two cents worth in.

0 comments:

Post a Comment