Demo Site

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Job news, planning ahead

Yesterday, I had the chance to converse with my boss concerning the job I applied for. The Licensing group has already has discussions about me with my manager and they are very interested in me. He is not sure why they have not officially contacted me but it should be coming soon. It was an interesting insight into how he feels about me and a short look into his background.


My current boss used to me the Licensing Manager so he is very aware of the job scope and he assured me that the process is much simpler than any of the technologies I already know. He said that he told the hiring manager that my temperament and background would be uniquely suited for working with certain ethnic groups with whom they are currently having issues. That was encouraging; unofficial, but encouraging.

I only broached the subject with him because I have heard from two separate sources now that there are rumors that I will be moving to Houston. My boss was a little concerned about the rumors because he was able to quickly pinpoint the source. Somebody might get in a little bit of trouble. I can appreciate that person’s interest in my case a little better after my boss explained that one of this person’s supervisors is in Houston right now interviewing for the same job. If both of us were to get hired into Licensing, he would have to deal with five of my female direct reports and three of that manager’s female direct reports. That is not something he succeeded with in the past.

Mama and Grandpa will go to get the three new calves this morning. The two of them cleaned out and sanitized the stalls required in the calf building yesterday afternoon. Mama was groaning through the evening as a result of the work. It is not an arduous task but it is difficult for both her and me because of the way we have things set up. We are amassing quite a heap of offal from the small herd. It will work well on the meadows and on the fruit trees this spring – provided the Lord sends enough rain to dissolve it so the ground can absorb it. Grandpa is looking for a manure spreader right now. I am praying for rain.

Mama and I talked about the farm, the job and Grandma and Grandpa’s travel plans on the way to church last night. I asked her to carefully express the concerns I have for the coming months. With Grandpa gone for a month I suggested that we get no more than three more calves after this lot. By mid-March Mama will be doing almost all the bottle feeding on her own but if we plan carefully, we can be close to weaning this lot by then. If I get the job in Licensing, March will be the month I will be reporting to that job which will require that I be in Houston during the week. I will be home only on the weekends during my indoctrination sessions.

One of the benefits of the jobs I am currently working is the need to learn to plan very far out. I have developed training plans for the next three years, a budget for this entire year and am coordinating the time off for nine people for the year. I have learned to look ahead. I hope we can put together a plan that will not stress Mama during Grandma and Grandpa’s working vacation in West Virginia.

One day we will be wholly responsible for the farm. We have a lot to learn so hopefully, that day will not be soon in coming.

0 comments:

Post a Comment