Demo Site

Monday, June 17, 2013

A long weekend


When I got home Thursday evening Grandpa was finishing up the last of the hay he had baled. We got a total of fifty eight bales, mostly of good quality alfalfa. They were pretty heavy – either that or I am pretty weak. I guess the average bake was around seventy pounds with several breaking one hundred pounds. All in all, it was a worthwhile effort on Grandpa’s part and we did beat the rain which was just enough to ruin the hay if we had not gotten it in the shed.

On Friday he worked on the motor of the sprayer to get it into shape for spraying the meadows after he helped me unload the thirty sheets of sheetrock Mama and I had gotten in Nocona.  I did not talk to him about the results that evening. I was in the apartment until late in the evening and by the time I got in and cleaned up he was down for the night. On Saturday I do not think he left the bedroom. He is having more good days than bad days right now but the bad days are the ones that seem to get our attention.

Grandma spent the last few days doing a cleanse for the gall bladder. She told me last night that it did not help her like the last time she did the same cleanse. I suggested that the problem may not be the gall bladder but something else. Maybe it is a good thing she did not have the surgery to remove her gall bladder. She does feel better having completed the routine, but she is disappointed that the results were not more dramatic. Both she and Grandpa are becoming more aware of how poor their diet really is; changing to a better one will be problematic.

At church on Sunday I talked to the man who is doing the plumbing for us. He will be out on Saturday afternoon to install the valves for the water and to hook up the hot water tank. He will also run the gas lines. I left out several pieces of sheetrock to allow the installation of the gas line but I have the pieces cut and ready to install once he is finished. I am hoping to put them I place while he is there so he can get the valves installed on those lines also. That will complete all the plumbing for the shop and apartment.

We managed to use up all thirty sheets over Friday and Saturday. Victoria helped me with several on the ceiling of the laundry room. It is reasonable to assume that I will have all the sheetrock hung by Saturday. I still have a couple small leaks I am dealing with, but they will be resolved quickly. The hard rain today will tell me how much I have left to do on that. For the sakes of the building and the ground I am glad for the timing.

We spent every evening this weekend watching the first season of Downton Abby. Victoria rented it along with another movie. I had heard about the series on the radio and Victoria had heard about it through Cori. It was a very well done soap opera. I can see now why everyone was talking about it. It gave me a chance to cool down before trying to go to sleep after spending the day hot and soaking wet.

Now that the weekend is over I can rest up at work. With Father’s Day sandwiched into the event schedule it kept us pretty busy throughout. I got calls or texts from all our children and several cards with gift cards and cash in celebration of the occasion. Mama has determined the money will be spent on a new pair of work boots. It is a good idea.

I have pretty much worn out the last pair I bought over two years ago.

0 comments:

Post a Comment