Demo Site

Monday, June 3, 2013

Rained out, Dodger and snakes, Mama’s recital


I think I slept in later on Saturday morning than I have I quite some time. It was almost 8 a.m. before I got out of bed. Mama and I left for Nocona Building Center shortly after I did get up so I could get the green rock I needed for the bathroom. On our way there we ran into some serious rains. We were praising the Lord for the rain but it did keep us from getting any materials. I had to regroup and work on other things – of which there are many.

This week I need to get to the point that the plumber who is doing the work for us on the apartment can put in the shut off valves for the water in the kitchen, bath and laundry room when he comes out to do the gas line. We had a quote of $969 to run the gas line from the gas company, but I am sure we will come out much better with Lee doing the install. I just want to be ready for him so he can complete the work while he is there. It will save him a trip to the farm and it will move me along pretty well at the same time.

Dodger is fully recovered of his snake bite. It was a great relief to all the women in the house to see him back to normal. The entire experience has left him a little skittish. As Mama and I were taking care of the chickens, Dodger was sniffing around and stepped on one of the Devil’s Claw plant pods. When it moved in the grass he jumped away at a pretty impressive speed. It reminded me of the old rock song, “Once bitten, Twice shy”.

Perhaps not as fortunate is the man whose wife sold us the sheep. Mama received a text last night telling her that he had been bitten by a copperhead and had spent the last three days in ICU. I am pretty sure Mama will get more details today so we can pray more effectively, but that is a pretty harrowing experience for the entire family.

So far on our farm, Grandpa has seen two copperheads; mostly when he moves equipment. That is probably where Dodger got his bite because he follows Grandpa around while he is working. So when Grandpa hooked up the brush hog for the first time this season, Dodger was right there and the snake was on high alert having been so abruptly exposed. Dodger is always looking for rabbits and mice. The snake was a new experience.

Mama was in a group of four or so women on Sunday morning discussing the issues she is having with her knee. It is locking up on her at certain times. We are not sure what the issue but the women were adamant that she needed to see the doctor about it before too much time went by. Each had a relevant story to share with the group so they could compare notes. As I watched from a distance away I started talking with one of the older gentlemen there and he asked me what was going on with Mama. I explained that she was giving her organ recital to the group.

He laughed until he was coughing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment