Demo Site

Monday, June 24, 2013

Mostly done, Grandpa and Grandma leaving, Jake coming


Saturday was a flurry of activity for us. On Friday evening Grandpa used the potato plow to start a ditch for the gas line to go in and when I go home that evening I completed it. Saturday morning I got a very early start but because I knew Lee Davis was planning on coming out that afternoon to complete the water hookups and hook up the propane to the apartment I did not want to get into anything I could not quickly lay down so that I was available to help him so I tackled some odd jobs.

I got the front door deadbolt installed as well as installing the door knob on the temporary door on the shop entry. I took down the insulation in the ceiling where we needed to open it up so we could run the line overhead. I rearranged the shop in order to clear the wall we needed access to in the shop. I also got the washer and dryer out of the farm house and the shed to put in the laundry room to see how things are going to fit.

That turned out to be a disappointment. With the size I built the laundry room we will not be able to accommodate everything I had thought I could. We will end up having to get a stackable washer and dryer set in order to make it work. With the two appliances we now have the washer will crowd the area I set up put a toilet. So I either abandon the idea of having a toilet in the shop or I make accommodations to make everything fit. Mama thinks it is important to keep the toilet available in the shop. I have to agree.

When Lee did get to the farm it took only a couple of hours to get everything done and the completed project looker very nice. I was not able to get the gas run completed because we lacked a couple fittings to get the final hookups done but what was needed in the apartment was easily done. I will get the two couplings to finish the gas line sometime this week. That will seal it all up. I will also be able to put up the final pieces of sheetrock to complete the walls in the apartment. Hallelujah!

So the ditch for the gas line is mostly covered – waiting on parts to complete the final connections. The sheetrock is mostly done – waiting on about five pieces to be cut for the ceiling in the kitchen to complete the entire apartment. The shower is mostly done – waiting on the surround to be purchased and installed. The water lines are fully complete and hooked to a full hot water tank – the positioning of which prohibits setting up the laundry room as originally planned. We are getting close.

 Grandma and Grandpa are leaving for West Virginia tomorrow morning. They are planning on being gone for the entire month of July, hoping to return to the farm August first or second. In their place Jake is coming to stay with Mama (and me by default) on Tuesday of next week. He will be with us through the month of July – including the trip to Florida in the middle of the month. Mama is gearing herself up for the barrage of conversation.

 We will see how well she is prepared once the talking starts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment