Demo Site

Friday, June 28, 2013

New experience


Yesterday was a first for me. I spent the better part of the day on a golf course. I did not play. I never have, but I cheered, cajoled and critiqued through eighteen holes in 107 degree heat. It was part of a team building exercise connected with operations overview we had gone through the day before. I enjoyed the time with all the guys from the different areas of our operation, but I still have no desire to take up golf. When I was asked by the individual I was riding around with what I did for a hobby. I told him, I work.

I cannot imagine being so frustrated and so passionate at the same time about any activity as some of the players yesterday were with game of golf. Most of the sixteen guys had not had their clubs out for a minimum of a year; some for considerably longer. Most of them hated their game but said they loved the game.

They played a scramble, where the best shot of the group of four was played for the next shot. Much of the time was spent looking for balls to determine where the next shot would be taken from. That was perhaps the funniest part of the game to me. I cannot critique a golf game but I can give someone a hard time about not being able to find their ball. “You better drop back about forty yards, there’s no way you hit it this far.” Or “The water trap is this big and the fairway is this big. That was a great shot to hit in the center of the pond.”

 John Eieknbary – the organizer and the man I spent the day with – is an avid golfer but because of a recent injury was unable to play, served as “marshal” for our group. He bought 48 golf balls for the round. At the end of the course he had four balls left; the rest were lost somewhere along the course. I was one of two persons who had on jeans. I was the only person in long sleeves. I was pretty comfortable throughout the morning. It was a pretty interesting day.

I had not slept much at all the night before so after the game ended and we ate lunch together I headed home. I lay down on the living room floor and slept for a couple hours very soon after I arrived. I did not do anything in the apartment and since I was home a little early I felt guilty about being so lazy, but I will get over it.

I did sleep very well last night so today should not be too much of an endurance contest, but we will prove that out through the day. I am looking forward to the weekend. This weekend will close out June for 2013.

That is hard to believe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment