Demo Site

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Some completions, trip prep, Mama and the tractor


Even though the plumber that did all the work on the apartment was a little leery of using the fittings Mama had gotten from the local supply shop, I had her go ahead and get the tool required to assemble the fittings and put them on. The supplier gave us a video with step by step instructions for the use of the tool and it really was a big help. I easily assembled the tank side of the gas line but waited on the house side of the line to show Grandpa how the process worked. He was very impressed. The line as fully assembled and pressure tested.

Grandpa had loaded the Lincoln on the flatbed gooseneck trailer so that he could haul it to West Virginia in order for Grandma to have something to drive around while they stay there, but it proved too much for the truck so I helped him take it back off of the trailer soon after we did the gas line. I guess Grandma and Mocca will be lonely housemates while the men are out working all day. In the long run it will save Grandpa a lot of gas money.

Grandpa attached the brush hog to the tractor so Mama could test her abilities to use it on the fields. We were not sure her knee would handle the clutch but it was a pointless worry. The more worrisome part of her using the brush hog is her tearing out the fence. In the short tome she was operating the tractor last night she turned over a pile of barbed wire we have in accumulated in the horse pasture – almost tearing up the brush hog. Then she smashed the water barrel we use for the horse.

I don’t know how many times I told her to slow down; which brings me to a point of constant contention. As her husband I am supposed to heed every word that she speaks but the reciprocal communication is not generally heeded. I can tell her to slow down and her immediate answer is, “I was not going that fast.” “Did you knock over a water barrel and a plie of barbed wire? You were going too fast.”

Her response, “Grandpa told me to keep it in first gear at 1200 to 1500 rpms. That’s how fast I have to go.” “Were you at 1200 or 1500 rpms?” “1600” “Then slow down. Not even Grandpa goes as fast as you were going.” “Well, I don’t think I was going that fast.” And so it goes. Fortunately, there were no animals and no farm implements harmed during the test run – although Misty had to be avoided several times as Mama mowed her pasture.

We were able to access that she will be able to use the tractor so equipped. It did not appear to hurt her knee to use the clutch. I was more concerned with her getting on and off of the tractor than actually operating it, but she is determined to go ahead and clean up the pastures.

What can I say? She won’t listen anyway.                    

0 comments:

Post a Comment