Demo Site

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Goofs, grass, gaining ground, adjusting


Yesterday evening I made my first bad cut while cutting to place a piece of sheetrock since the project began. I am not sure how I messed up as badly as I did but it just about ruined one piece of the green sheetrock completely. In the larger scope of things it is only a $12 loss although some of it I can reuse elsewhere. Since it was the first piece I have cut for the ceiling I will have to consider it a practice piece. I did get the bathroom exhaust fan hooked up so we can have the “poopie light” in service when needed.

If I can get help this evening I will try again. It is a difficult piece to get in place – over the shower and vanity area in the bathroom. With two cutouts for lights and the stub outs for the vanity drain and the shower head to work around, it takes some maneuvering to get it into place. I got the first one up and fitted only to discover that I had completely missed one of the light boxes. It was not my best moment.

Grandpa started cutting the upper meadow last night. It will yield more hay than the last cutting but it is still very thin. Grandpa was telling me that our neighbor to the south had his hay cut and baled by a third party and he got only 30% of what he normally would get. (The man who did the cutting charged him the full price per acre so they were pretty expensive bales.) I think we are about the same percentage yield but I had hoped for more. We should be able to get a couple hundred bales if we stick to cutting every twenty eight days as Grandpa has been told is the optimum.

It was obvious that Grandpa was feeling much better. He is not quite willing to admit that it was the tincture that got him there but he is willing to concede the coincidence is notable. Yesterday he used the weed eater to trim around the house and grapevines. He also cut down the growth in the area of the shop where we have yet to pour the slab. He finished up by trimming the area where the propane tank is sitting. It looked very nice.

I think tonight I will get with Grandpa and clear out the area where we are planning on relocating the propane tank and have that ready for the plumber when he get to the farm to run the gas line. I am waiting on some of the sheetrock until that line is in place but there is still enough to do to keep me busy every evening this week.

Mama and Maggie were talking plane tickets last night. Maggie is a little worried that Mama does not have her ticket to fly to Juneau in hand yet. Maggie was excited because she had found a ticket at a rock bottom price of $818. I am having to make some huge psychological adjustments to recognize the value there but the two women doing the shopping are convinced that it is a real bargain.

I am still working that issue.

0 comments:

Post a Comment