Demo Site

Monday, August 24, 2020

Almost normal, church, Walter, house guests

Last weekend was almost normal as far as my health issues were concerned. I was able to work Saturday as I typically would have in the past with the caveat that I did not do any heavy lifting. I will be restricted on lifting through the end of the week, but after that I should be able to return to normal. It felt good just to be able to function at near normal capacity versus having to sit down after thirty minutes of working. I used the tractor for a couple chores just to be sure I did not overdo things as I work my way back to normal. Several bales of hay needed to be moved for the goats and the calf, but I was not allowed to carry them to those locations. Instead, I raised the bucket to slide them into the bucket from the loft in the goat barn and dumped them in the required locations. It was not as neat as I would have liked, but the goats and the calf did not mind.

I was able to complete the shelf that will hang above the coffee bar. I had to make quite a few cuts to make the pieces for hanging the shelf, but I was able to make all of them out of recycled wood from pallets I used for the shelf itself. Once I got everything glued up and screwed together, I had to sand the shelf for a long time to get everything smooth enough that Mama can dust it once it is in place. That done, I put on the final coat of varnish and let it sit. By this evening it should be dried enough to hang. That will finish a project a long time in the making – mostly because of my medical setback.

Sunday, I was able to lead the singing for both services. Bro. Zach was very thankful to have me there because he was preaching both services and if I had not been there, he would have had to get someone to volunteer that morning. Or he would have had to do it himself. Since I pick the songs for the services, it is always a little unsettling to Zach if there is a song on the list that he is not overly familiar with. It was good to feel well enough to do my little part. Grandma went with us to the morning service. She enjoyed it thoroughly. I could tell as we were traveling home that she really enjoys church and misses it terribly, but she was trying to justify her and Grandpa not going to church. Grandma went with us because Grandpa and Norman was in Dallas working on a project for Norman’s wife, Casey. Sunday, if you do not go to church, is just another weekend day. Grandpa does not typically work on Sunday’s, but this week Norman talked him into it and with Grandpa absent Grandma needed some company.

Walter got an up close and personal introduction to the wildlife in Upper Michigan. He got stung by something as they were exploring. No one is sure what insect got him, but it left an impressive mark on the inner side of his upper right arm. Maggie called to see if any medical intervention was needed, but it did not seem so to me. But that diagnosis was made from a picture and a description of the symptoms. It did not seem that anything other than some Benadryl and loose clothing to minimize the discomfort was needed. He’s a tough kid for the most part.

We are crowding closer and closer to the time that Cori, Nate and the kids will arrive. Mama is slowly getting ready for that week. The spare room is ready, and the house is being continuously cleaned because of the shedding that is going on, which is slowly getting less and less. Especially as Victoria spends evenings brushing out the loose hair from both Kira and Kobe. The hair left lying in the yard once Victoria brushes the dog it looks like an animal attack took place in the yard. I know the birds like the extra hair made accessible to them, and I would far rather that hair be in the yard than in the corners of every room of the house.

Also, in preparation for house guests, Mama had Don’s Pest Control to spray the house and farm areas close to the house. He spent more than an hour putting down the chemical he uses – which does not cause harm to any of our animals. I think he put down over 40 gallons of the spray. I will probably not be able to tell if it makes a difference, but I am sure it will. Our animals will certainly know the difference. The outside dogs will be the most positively affected by the treatment. They were getting pretty overloaded with fleas. It was certainly time to have the treatment done. It had been over two years since we have had Don over.

I hope we are ready to entertain by the end of next week. If not, we will wing it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment