Demo Site

Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Outcomes, prognosis, work

Concerning the procedure yesterday, everything went very well. Some of the people at the hospital were a little bossy concerning the mask issue, but for the most part, the staff were professional and efficient. Mama and I were there very early. My paperwork said I should be at the hospital by 5:15 am. We were there at 4:45. Unbeknownst to us, the day staff do not begin arriving at the hospital until 5:30 am. So, we had to wait a while. Once things got going, it moved very quickly. I was prepped and in the OR by 6:30. Out by 7 am. Our cardiologist met with Mama right after the procedure and explained that I have a fully occluded artery, 100% blocked, but the heart seems to be compensating for the loss of that blood low. That compensation is called collateral circulation. When a second doctor – called in to consult by our cardiologist – talked with Mama, he seemed to indicate that he would not recommend clearing the blockage. He left Mama with the opinion that that blockage was not the cause of the issues I was dealing with. Yet later that day my cardiologist called to let me know another cardiologist would be calling me to talk about doing what the doctor Mama talked to last was not interested in doing. Clearing the blockage. We will see how that conversation goes.

For now, I am nursing a small incision in my groin, just below the belt line on my right side. It is uncomfortable but not debilitating. I have to be aware of the wound for several days and avoid lifting anything over a very light weight to avoid rupturing the site, causing me issues I do not want to deal with. As far as dealing with the overall health issues I have been dealing with, one doctor says the blockage is not the issue while another doctor seems to say clearing the blockage will give me very obvious relief. Meanwhile, Victoria, Mama and I are going to try herbs and oils as well as changing up the dosages of the medicines I am taking. Today and tomorrow, I will not take my prescribed blood pressure meds. Friday I will begin with a half dose of one of the two meds. I did discontinue one of the two last week, but Victoria thinks it is the one I should be taking and foregoing the one I continued. On the bright side, it is somewhat doubtful that my heart is the issue. Were it not for the conflicting opinions, we would have a better prognosis, but that will all work out in the next week or so.

On the not so bright side, I am not sure what to do for work. They still need me to teach a class every week through the end of the year. I was not able to teach last Wednesday or today. I am hoping I will feel better quickly as we change my med doses. The other alternative is to try a different medication. But the overarching need is a drastic lifestyle change. I am praying that the Lord will help me learn to like the food items that are good for me and switch my taste buds to actually like those things. I cannot imagine myself craving a cucumber or desperate for a salad. I cannot imagine myself gagging at the thought of eating pizza or grossed out at the thought of eating a steak, much less fried chicken. Reconditioning my taste buds will require some work on my part but I am not too late as far as my heart is concerned to capitalize on that change. It will all work out to God’s glory and to my good at some point. I just have to decide that it is worth the effort. I told Mama I am not concerned about my mortality, but I am concerned about my legacy. What I leave behind me when I go.

The nurse that worked on me through the discharge process, Jain (pronounced Jane) was of obvious Eastern Indian descent. As we chatted about the discharge he asked if I was Pastor. I told him I was not but was active in our local church leading the song service. He told me he was a born-again Christian, having gotten saved in Southern India, which is predominantly Orthodox Christian. He got saved after hearing the Gospel presented clearly to him. Something the Orthodox Church is not famous for allowing.  He speaks five languages fluently. English being his newest language. It was pleasant to carry on the conversation as we worked through the paperwork. It was good to be a witness and encouragement. It was good to be easily recognized as a believer in Christ.

Mama and I were out of the hospital about 1 pm. We ate a leisurely lunch at Cheddar’s and shopped a little bit at Sam’s. I had to leave Mama to finish up the shopping because my surgical wound was hurting too badly to keep walking. Once we were home, I laid down and slept until 6:30. Today I am uncomfortable but not hurting badly – as long as I sit in a way that does not put undue pressure on my wound.

We will see how the rest of the week goes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment