Demo Site

Friday, August 7, 2020

Safe travels, good classes, anniversary, weekend plans

Mama and Victoria made it safely to Brittany’s yesterday. They needed some more specific directions once they got to Wichita because they did not know exactly how to get to the base, but I assume they found it easily enough because it was several hours before Mama contacted me again. When she did, she was surrounded by the twins as she held Audrey. Mama and I live such a peaceful, quiet life here on the farm that it is always a shock to be back in the world of active, rambunctious, loudly competing little voices. It is always fun, but it is always a little overwhelming. She and Victoria are having a great time with the girls. The twins adore Victoria. The feeling is reciprocated in full. Savanna is the same towards Victoria. It is fun to watch the interaction when any of those three are with Victoria. It is as if Victoria becomes a very different person in those settings. It takes an emotional toll on her, but she manages in short bursts. Almost all babies fall in love with Mama during the first contact. She is in her element when she has a baby in her arms.

Both Claude, a coworker, and I taught online classes yesterday. His went significantly longer than mine because the group he was teaching has been working with him on a yearlong project to get their company up and running in our system. There were far more questions and subsequent demonstrations of our system during his class. That is good. I was able to get some pointers for my presentation which will be added to the next class I teach. Always learning. It was the first time we, as a company, have done two online classes at the same time. Our management was impressed. For us, it is a very inexpensive alternative to in-person instruction, and it seems to provide very nearly the same level of engagement we get in a live setting. I am warming to the format. In this current national upheaval, online classes certainly help us meet our client’s needs in this COVID panicked world.

My and Mama’s 38th anniversary is tomorrow. We will not get to spend it together, but Mama will be enjoying the fruits of our lives together. I wish I could be there as well, but work would not allow me to share that trip with Mama. It would have been a good anniversary present for both of us. Instead, I am feeding, watering and dog sitting. It is my turn to cover the farm chores while Mama gets some time off. I am not complaining, just making an observation. I would say that our animals do not care who feeds them, but that would not be true. They very much prefer when Mama does the feeding. She gives the animals far more time and attention than Victoria and I do. For us it is a chore, a duty. For Mama it is a pleasure, an expression of her interest in them. Somehow, they know – especially the chickens.

When I look back on Mama’s and my time together, I cannot say it has been a continual joy, but I has been close to that. Mama is a delightful person to be with. In spite of the hardships and hassles, in spite of the setbacks and struggles, in spite of the worries and woes that this life has brought us over our years together, I have stronger and more vibrant memories of the of the laughter and loving, the pleasant conversations and peaceful moments, the happy and downright hilarious times together. We have laughed far more than we have cried. We have snuggled and hugged far more than we have argued. We have met life headlong as a team overcoming each trial together – through God’s grace. We have spent our time enjoying each other’s company…and will continue to do so as long as the Lord allows.  

I do not have a long list for this weekend. I do not make long lists right now. Of the few items I do have listed, most are not large projects. I would not have the energy for any large projects, but I can certainly get a few small things done before I wear out, so that is my goal. Mama and Victoria will be back late tomorrow. Neither of them wanted to stay over to Sunday. Better to be home and go to church with our family here. Both of them will be worn out but our Sunday’s are typically very laid back. With the abbreviated services and the lack of Sunday School prior to the morning service as well as foregoing the Men’s and Lady’s meetings before the evening service, we have a pretty easy Sunday schedule. With my current health struggles, that is the kind of schedule I need.

Like Mr. Plumley, I’m doing the best I can.

0 comments:

Post a Comment