Demo Site

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Errands, time constraints


I took a half day of vacation yesterday since there were so many things to get done in Bowie and I had the car Mama needed to get them done. Not having the little truck as my transportation to and from work really puts a kink in the works for Mama’s errands – and we really needed to get these errands taken care of; paying our taxes, voting in the primary election, and getting the truck to a mechanic.

We headed for Montague first to get the taxes paid for the farm. It is really convenient in Montague County. We went into the new courthouse and immediately inside the door is the tax and title office. We were able to pay our county taxes and step to the next window and pay the registration fees on our trailers and the little truck.

About a half mile away is the tax office for the school taxes. That’s where we owed the bigger tax payment for property – land and buildings. I was getting ready to write out the check and the lady helping us told me an amount that was about half of what I was expecting to pay. When we asked her to double check she explained that the taxes owed for the mobile home had been paid by the company that holds the loan on the mobile home. Paying half of what I expected was a real blessing. Mama and I were so tickled that it really made her day. (That does not happen to her very often.)

Voting in the primary was different. There were six or seven pages to the ballot since some of the numerous races had seven or more candidates on the ballot. It took me several tries on the internet to find a cheat sheet for the primary elections – of candidates recommended by a conservative group. Without that help it would have been extremely difficult to know who to vote for in all the races.

Mama and I went to the post office to get some packages mailed out then back to the mechanic. We had left the truck at his shop earlier but continued on our errands since no one was in the shop at that time. When we swung back by he was back in the shop so we talked about all the vehicle needs we had to get taken care of – ending with the little truck.

We left our contact information but have not heard anything from him yet. I have mixed emotions about fixing the truck. I have asked the Lord to let me continue to use the truck through this year but it is all in His hands. Mama and I have set an amount we will be willing to pay for repairs, but beyond that we will let it die a slow death in service on the farm. It will be interesting to see how God works this out.

Tonight will be our final revival service for the week. Tomorrow our pastor and several men from the church are going to a local prison for evangelistic services. Pastor Horton and Lee Davis really love that ministry and God really blesses that time for them.

Tomorrow night will be the only weeknight I have been able to get anything done on the farm for two weeks now – and there is a lot to get done. Friday night is RU at church and Saturday is Trade Days so there will be limited time to get anything done on the farm. We are also expecting rain – only a little – but the positive impact it brings to the land produces a negative impact on the work I need to be doing.

Next week Mama and I go to Houston so I can attend training there. It will be another short week on the farm.

I love this life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment