Demo Site

Friday, March 21, 2014

Work plans, little chores and helpers


Well, I ended up having to come to work this morning in spite of the plans I had to the contrary. There are only a few things that I have to get done and I should be able to get them completed by late morning. I am hoping to get back to the farm by lunchtime. Mama was not thrilled with the change in plans but she is pretty accommodating. After all, this is how I support my real interests.

Last night I swapped vehicles with Victoria on my way home. She had driven the truck to work after she and Mama picked up Sam. She really liked driving it but with the heavy tinting on the rear windows and the back glass I was a little worried about her being able to back the truck out of her spot in the parking lot. I probably should not have been concerned but it was an easy swap to make.

Once I got home Mama and I cleaned the chicken coop; she had saved that chore for me to help with. She is very thoughtful that way. I hung the gate we have had standing in the gap from the driveway into the  calf lot and I finished early enough that I got out the tiller and broke up the soil in front of the apartment.

I need to get the level down quite a bit so we can get ready for the concrete to be poured for the porch. I am leaving a portion on the north end for a special garden so Mama can have plants just outside of her bedroom windows. The only problem we were having is that Kira really liked the loose, cool dirt and kept speeding through the broken soil getting in my way.

When I began to gather the loose dirt for the portion I will make into raised beds for the garden she wanted to help me a little too much and I ended up having the chase her off pretty sternly. Some of the dirt I shoveled up into the wheelbarrow and moved to the south end of the porch to help level the ground there; that I let her play in to her hearts content.

Mama got out the mower and rolled over some grass that was really too short to cut. It was good practice. If the warm weather holds and we get the rains predicted for this weekend she will have to begin mowing in earnest very soon.

I am hoping to work in the garden this afternoon – after I get home early and before I have to get ready for RU this evening. I have plans of setting up a little arbor in the garden so we can begin to set out seeds and young plants. So far I have been thwarted at every turn but it has all been for the best. The weather is only now beginning to show signs of allowing spring to take hold.

Mama shared something she had seen on Facebook. It was a sign at a nursery. It read, “Spring is here. I got so excited I wet my plants.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment