Demo Site

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Home inspection, traveling, sack lunch


The home inspection went well overall. There are a few little issues that have to be addressed which is understandable since the house is forty years old. The only repair that is more than a brief mention in the report is a problem with the chimney. It will need some attention as soon as possible to repair the brickwork at the top and make a cap to seal it against the weather.

Some of the resulting water damage from a leak which has since been repaired where the chimney met the roofline will require some trim and a door frame to be replaced but those are minor repairs that I can easily get done. Most of the flooring will have to be replaced or upgraded and the paneling will have to be taken down requiring the walls to be patched and painted. Because of the needed repairs Mama is going to ask for some money off of the selling price as compensation.

Victoria was impressed with the house. Yesterday was her first time to see the inside. Grandma and Grandpa have yet to see it but I know they will like it also. Not that I am wanting them to move in with us, but that could become a necessity in short order. Poor Mama.

I identified thirteen trees that need to be cut down pretty soon. All of them are oak trees. Three are too close to the house which affects the slab. Seven are dead or very nearly so and the remaining ones in the initial count will have to be taken down to get them out of the way of the driveway and carport. There is one tree in the middle of the circular driveway in front of the house. It might be the first to go.

Mama ran Grandma and Grandpa to Burleson yesterday. Since Grandma’s appointment is on Friday and we will be out of town with the old folks it was a practice run to make sure they knew the route. It was an hour and forty minute trip each way, which seemed like a poor use of time but Grandma is confident that she and Grandpa can find their way back to the dentist office. They will have to make the trip two separate times to get her dental work complete. Today Mama is slated to stay home. I am not sure it will work out that way but I know she is ready to sit still.

While they were out Mama stopped at Sam’s to pick up fruit for the senior trip. We will also be packing along cookies and a sack lunch. Mama asked me what I wanted in my sack lunch and I told her I was not sure of the protocols today. Maybe I should just pack a “Lunchable” so I would pass inspection by the lunch police. From the pictures I have seen of school lunches recently, even that may be too fattening to pass muster.

So I am settling for two apple slices, three baby carrots, four crackers and 4 ounce milk. I will make it up at dinner – that’s not regulated by the government yet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment