Demo Site

Thursday, October 30, 2014

House updates, travel plans


Things are moving forward pretty well with the house purchase. Mama and I have asked for a little allowance – or a price reduction – based on the findings of the home inspection. It is not much money we are asking for but we will see how they will respond today or tomorrow. At that point the bank can begin the paperwork to get the loan originated. We have yet to get the bank appraisal but that should not be a problem since the house has had a very recent appraisal.

Mama and Grandpa were out looking at a piece of property in the area yesterday and stopped by the house to poke around for a while. Grandpa saw the repairs we need to make to the second water well when we do take occupancy. It will not require too much to get it in service again and it will supply water to the barn and all the water troughs on the acreage west of the house. It’s pretty convenient to have two wells.

Mama and I are looking for flooring. She wants wood. I would prefer tile that looks like wood – which is more scratch resistant. We will agree to do it her way pretty soon. At least she agreed with my approach to getting the work started. The materials are less relevant to me than the process chosen to get the work done.

I am going to start in the master bedroom. Once we get that room ready for me and Mama we will move our bed and clothing and get moved in so that I can commute to work from the closer living quarters. That will save me an hour or more per day; which I can use to get more work done at the house.

Besides, the repairs I need to do to the chimney and fireplace will make a pretty good mess on the living room floor. I want to make doubly certain that all the leaks in that area are sealed before I get any flooring down.

There is no urgency to get the living room and other bedrooms done right away since Victoria, Grandma and Grandpa will continue to live at the farm for the time being. I have not been privy to the plans they are making short term with regards to living arrangements but I have heard rumors of them buying a camping trailer and living in that at some RV park.

I am not in favor of that. In five years the money spent will be gone and we will have nothing to show for all the “sacrifice”. I would rather find a house or mobile home on some land and buy that for the two of them. Much later on (if the Lord tarries) we will at least have something to show for all the money spent. The cost of the used RV would be about the same as a down payment on a home and the payments, if we find the right price, will be about the same as a space rental in an RV park. It would be far more comfortable.

Mama and I will be off with the seniors tomorrow. Next week we are planning to go to the panhandle. I have a lot of little work related things to get done in the area and Mama is tentatively planning to come along. She is hesitating somewhat so I will not know for certain if we will make the trip together until Sunday evening.

One of the things that is holding Mama back is the anticipation of new arrivals to the farm. Allie is due to have her pups next week or the week after. Mama does not want to miss that event. There are things drawing her to make the trip with me – visiting Mrs. Patrick, visiting Chase and Makaila, looking at the Lumber Liquidator store in Amarillo, just getting away, etc. I will get to see soon just who wins out.

I know better than to bet against the pups.

0 comments:

Post a Comment