Demo Site

Monday, October 27, 2014

The house, maybe two, moving


Mama and I met with our realtor Friday afternoon to look at the house we contracted to buy earlier that day. The house far exceeded our expectations. Peggy Calvert wanted to look into the house with us so she met us there and did the initial walkthrough with Mama and our realtor. I tried not to get too far ahead of Mama and the ladies but I got to the master suite first and discovered a real jewel in the master closet.

I waited there as I accessed a couple very minor repairs I would have to make in the shelving and let the ladies catch up. When Mama saw the size of the master bedroom she was ecstatic. When she saw the walk in closet attached to the master bath she cried. It is pretty impressive. There is even a small bonus closet in the master bedroom for shoes and accessories. The other two bedrooms are not large but they will suffice for the time being.

The garage is large and very clean. The butler’s pantry is well set up and the laundry room is also larger than in most of the houses we had looked recently. There are several things we will update – mostly the flooring throughout the house – and a few minor repairs that have to me made but by and large the house is in very good condition. Mama and are both excited and relieved.

The bank is already on board with the financing and a recent survey has been completed. We will need a home inspection, which is scheduled for Tuesday, and an appraisal by a company the bank will select. An appraisal was done and the selling price was set by that appraisal, but our bank will want their own selected company to confirm that value. We are not worried about any of it at this point. We are just anxious to get started.

We are still considering buying the little rock house in Decatur for Victoria, Grandma and Grandpa but I am dragging my feet on making an offer until I know what the bank will say about it. Mama is anxious to move forward so she can be assured that she will have some distance – although not too much – from Grandma. Mama really likes having a place of her own and that is not possible without a little bit of separation.

From my perspective, I am still unsure if it is the right thing to do based on past experience of Grandma and Grandpa floating here and there trying to limit their commitments to anything or anyone. Grandpa is talking about wanting to be in Texas vs. West Virginia but any little thing can refocus that desire. I need to know Mama and I want to be ultimately responsible long term for the second house before I commit to buying it.

Today and tomorrow are moving days at work. The new building is now complete and the movers are scheduled to start helping the new occupants get relocated this morning. I am ready for this project to be completed so I can move on to the next building project in Dumas.

There is always something to do.

0 comments:

Post a Comment