Demo Site

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Still looking, babysitting, storms


Mama, Victoria and I were hoping to look at one particular home and property last night but for whatever reason, that did not work out so Mama asked if we could look at the property on Hwy 730 one more time. She and Victoria were still strongly opposed to buying the property but I needed one more look.

I was the first to arrive and the heir was at the shop on the property so I introduced myself to him and we began talking about the place. I got a lot of information about the septic, the well, the shop and buildings in our few minutes of conversation. I also got the very strong impression from him that he is still so emotionally attached to the place that selling it is going to be extremely difficult for him.

As we talked he would make mention of all the things that were his – which amounted to just about everything lying about the place – down to the piles of trash. He has about a month of cleanup to get done and he is in no hurry to let go of his extensive storage area. It was at that point that I knew I had to walk away from the place.

I do not think we will find any property more conveniently placed than that property but I do not want to wrestle someone away from their emotional anchor – especially in light of the fact that a lot of expensive work needs to be done to make the house habitable by Mama’s standards. I am not buying his memories and it looks like he is not ready to sell them.  My only interest was in the property and his memories add no value to it – except in his eyes.

Mama and Victoria were in town because they were dropping off the children they had been watching. They were both bummed out and tired. I guess their baby fix had been cut short. Watching the two little ones helped bring home the idea that we really need to get closer to church – geographically.

Victoria told me and Mama last night that yesterday morning no one was in a hurry to get up. Four year old Gracie, who was sleeping in bed with Victoria, had been awake for a while when she poked Victoria and said, “I want to snuggle.” Who can resist that? It made Victoria’s morning.

It has gotten cooler lately but the cool weather comes in batches of days like it is interrupting the hot days that are still trying to keep their grip on the land. Eventually it will stay cold but for now we have three cool days then three hot days. It is an interesting mix of weather.

The only bad part of the cycling temperatures is the strong storms it creates. We have had to deal with very high winds, large hail and massive downpours lately. Fortunately, we have not suffered any damage at the farm but the damage has been extensive in areas to our east. Some are still without power from a storm that ripped through the area Sunday evening.

When talking about the storm the next morning at work I was telling my coworkers that it was not that bad out in Bowie. I learned from Mama later that morning that I had slept through it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment