Demo Site

Friday, July 1, 2016

Living

As I sit here to write it is difficult for me to get past the idea that today was an uneventful day, but such is never the case. Mama was called on the spot this morning to watch the Echeveria kids because Erin found out at the last minute that the company she works for part time from home wanted to do an unannounced audit. Boy, does that sound like fun?

Anyway, we split up to cover more territory when Mama got the call and I headed to the church to work on my internet training while Mama went to meet Erin. We had already been to the feed store and Victoria’s house to tend to the chickens. Not a normal routine but I was moving pretty slowly and did not do my usual farm work before I set off to work on training. I suppose I was resting - sort of. Mama was waiting for me at the church when I got there because I had taken the time to unload feed out of the back of the truck before I headed to town. 

It was a little disappointing to find that the internet at the church was still not working - the router needed to be restarted in order to return to service after the all day interruption during the previous day. I do not have access to the office where the router and modem are kept so I tethered my phone to get onto the sites I needed. It was slow but it worked.

Everything I am learning is helping me to get a much better understanding of how the internet works and how to adapt to those nuances in order to succeed where many others have failed. I am slowly starting to see a path forward but I will still need the coaching I am being offered in order to grasp the concepts fully. 

Time will tell but it is much like when Bro. Lane (a Master Welder for thirty years) came to the farm to help me get started welding on gates and fences. One simple statement he made as we worked together made all the difference between success and failure. I went on, using that one tip, to make the best welds I have ever made - and on some pretty difficult materials. I am hoping for the same value of insights as I mov forward in this new business.

Meanwhile, I am continuing to work on the goat barn. (I put in three hours this evening.) I am sore but not hurting to the point that I have to lie still. Last night was rough because of the fresh bruising but I did manage to get a few hours of sleep and seem to be no worse off today for the loss. If you prayed for me, thank you. It still hurts to cough but fortunately, I am not having a huge problem with that right now.

When I was up late last night thinking about the fall, I began to realize how gracious God had been throughout the accident. Had I stepped onto the loose joist with the other foot I would have fallen much differently and possible been hurt much worse.

As badly as I hurt at the moment, it would have been very discouraging to have broken a leg or an arm or dislocated a shoulder…or far worse. All in all, I am blessed to be bruised and nothing else.

Mama fixed biscuits and eggs this morning. I love her fluffy homemade buttermilk biscuits. I fixed fried potatoes and bacon to go with them. That is not exactly the healthy way we are trying to encourage each other to eat, but you know Mama. “We don’t do this very often” or “It’s not like we do this all the time.” At our age and disappointingly slow metabolism we indulge too often to succeed at losing a significant amount of weight. It’s funny to think that we had started out with oatmeal as the main menu item for breakfast.

So back to the beginning. To say that any day was “uneventful” when you get to spend it with the one you love, doing the things you love and including family and friends along the way reflects too small a view of living. Especially when so many are so unhappy doing what they are stuck doing just to survive.

Mama and I are very blessed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment