Demo Site

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Broken items, lost and found


It is nearly impossible to completely cover the events of one day in our lives, much less an entire busy weekend. Such is always the case with these small recounting of events in our lives. So I need to digress a moment and tell you how Friday went in a little greater detail.

Cori and the kids arrived Thursday evening around 7 pm. The kids immediately went to the toy closet in the trailer and got some of the play out of their system while we heated up what we had made for dinner. After we ate and unloaded the van it was time for bed – even though it took an additional hour more to get the kids settled down.

When I got up Friday morning and went to the trailer to check on everyone I heard something clicking in the engine compartment of the van. When I looked into it I found that Cori had left the key turned in the ignition and the battery was completely dead. I do not have jumper cables at the farm – they went back to West Virginia with Grandpa. I do have a jump starter which works off of a battery. When I applied it to the vans battery I found out that it was very low on charge. I plugged it in and went on to other things.

I rearranged my shop, moved Mama’s mower outside so the kids could run the trikes in a circular track and began to help Mama get ready for the party we were going to have that evening. I tried the battery jumper on the car several times but the van battery was too low to start the car even with the help of the external battery. Finally, I waited until we got home from the party later that evening to allow the external batter to fully charge. Once that was done we were able to start the car pretty easily.

I wrote already about the time we spent at the pool that evening but after we got home Mama was desperate for some ice cream – since we had mentioned it earlier that evening. When she got the ice cream out of the freezer we discovered that the freezer had quit working.

I had to bring Victoria’s little chest freezer over to the shop and transfer all the contents of the upright freezer – which, thankfully was less than half full – to the little chest freezer, which we had pretty much emptied last month. It all fit; after we discarded some of the things we did not feel the need to keep. I took the big freezer outside and opened it up to thaw out.

This is the second time the upright freezer has quit and allowed its contents to thaw. That is why we were given the freezer in the first place. That was fifteen years ago when we lived in Victoria, TX. It has since been moved eight times as we moved to and within New Jersey and to and within Texas. It really owes us nothing and nothing was ruined since the Lord allowed us to find the problem almost as soon as it happened.

Saturday afternoon I took the big freezer back into the shop and plugged it in – and it works perfectly. Mama and I will not put too much stock in it for the time being but it can hold items we will not cry over if it quits again. For now we have some loaves of bread and some popsicles in it.

So, over the weekend, God was good to us. We got the car fixed, the freezer fixed and Mama’s phone fixed. To top al that off, Mama found the set of keys that had been lost the week before last. They were at the bottom of the hamper where we put my tee shirts. She thinks she put them in the hamper while it was empty and in the trailer – where she does our laundry – to make sure she got them back over to the apartment.

Anyway, it was a pleasant discovery…and an answer to prayer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment