Demo Site

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Time, forgotten phones and thwarted plans


We are now officially half way through the year. How did we get here so quickly? Even in the job I have where I am constantly looking out several months ahead, I am still staggered by how quickly the months go by. Some days seem to drag by but somehow the months move so quickly it takes me by surprise.

Things did not work out yesterday as planned. The realtor got to the farm at about the time he had anticipated but he and Mama did not get to leave the farm until after she had told me they would. He took some extra time to look over the property and get a clearer picture of how well the land lays. After all, it is a beautiful piece of property. (The sign he hung at the corner of the property is first rate. It is a good thing we have a brand new gate there to hang it on.)

As things turned out, I would not have been able to meet the realtor and Mama at the log home because of meetings I had scheduled that started at 1 pm and followed back to back until 2:30 pm. But I never found out if they were actually coming or what time I needed to meet them since Mama forgot her phone. I tried several time through the morning to get in touch with her but finally gave up and began preparing for the meetings I had scheduled.

As I was in the second of three meetings Mama pulled up in front of the office. I happened to be in my boss’s office which sits at the front of the building with windows facing the street so I could see her come into the building. I excused myself for a moment and went out to talk to her. That is when I found out that she had forgotten her phone. Couple that to the fact that she could not remember my number – either the cell or the office – and I got left out of the home showing.

It was only as she got to Decatur to see me that she suddenly remembered the number. Anyway, she was excited about the home and rescheduled a visit for this Thursday morning. On that day we will go back to two other properties for a second look. It will be a busy day off but it is something we really need to do.

I can’t fault Mama for forgetting her phone since I got to the office this morning and realized I left mine on the charger at the apartment. I will still be available to anyone through the office phone; that is, for anyone who has that contact information. I am not at all sure Mama has that number in her phone but it is in my contacts; on my phone, at the apartment.

I remember a time when you actually had to memorize telephone numbers. There was no digital storage on the devices we used as phones – they were mounted to the wall in your house or sat on a table in the home. When they rang, everybody jumped. I still remember the number to my childhood home – OV6-6824. I had to memorize that in the second grade and it did not change until my parents moved to Chappell Hill.

I was in college by that time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment