Demo Site

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Daisy May, internet woes, looking for balance


As soon as I got home yesterday evening I hooked up the stock trailer so Mama and I could go to the Shaw’s and get Daisy. She has been running with a bull on their farm just outside of Decatur for almost two months. We are hoping to get a calf out of her next spring. I told Mama I hope we did not end up getting her a week early – that would be our normal course of operation.

I am not as comfortable with trailers as Norman and Grandpa are but the Lord blessed us on this short trip to get us there and back safely. Loading the heifer was the tricky part. We tried to load Daisy from the pasture but she was not interested in making the step up into the trailer even for the feed offered so Bro. Shaw walked her to a smaller pen where we could corral her a bit more.

It only took a few minutes to get her into the trailer once we had her committed to that path. She was still a bit hesitant to make the step up but with a gate pressed into her backside and hemmed in by the trailer gates on each side she decided forward was the best path. Now our stock trailer is properly baptized with runny, green manure from front to back.

I am glad we made the trip last night because it is raining hard today with more rain predicted for tomorrow. I had a bit of trouble at one point. While I was getting lined up in the pasture the truck tires were spinning on the wet grass. I thought I was not going to get turned around but the wheels finally grabbed and we made it out of the pasture to the secondary loading area. We were home by 6:30 pm.

Since it was too late to get anything done on the construction projects I have going I got all the pistols and rifles we had shot over the weekend and cleaned them. I took my time to make sure I did a thorough job and was still done with them in less than an hour. I got to go to bed a little earlier than I had anticipated; but I feel no better for it.

Meanwhile Mama was looking at homes online. I checked the Hot Spot I have at the farm – provided by my company – to see what the tally of data for the month was. We are allotted 5 GB. We were cruising upwards of 11GB. My bill is going to be pretty high next month. Mainly it is from streaming TV shows and from Victoria spending a good deal of time every evening online for her Janberry business.

One of the requisite items in any home we buy needs to be better internet access. None of us may particularly like the house on 730 but it definitely would give us access to landlines and fiber optic cable for phone and internet.

One of my struggles is to consider where Mama would be left in the event something happened to me. The issue there is that what she really likes if far more expensive than we should even be considering at this point. Striking the balance between what we like and what we would settle for has been the sticking point in all of our online searches.

It is still a work in progress.

0 comments:

Post a Comment