Demo Site

Friday, July 25, 2014

Prospects, Mama’s glasses


I took the day off yesterday so I could help Mama and Victoria get the farm presentable. Our realtor called us the day before to announce a prospective buyer would be coming to look over the farm about 11 a.m. on Thursday morning. There was not a whole lot to do but the prep takes time so we got an early start.

They got there as promised. The entourage was three men. One of the three was the prospective buyer, one was his father and the third was the realtor – who just happens to run a dairy farm near Gainesville, TX. He looked over the shop and apartment with great interest. He had no interest in the mobile home. He took a good deal of time to look over the property and seemed disappointed only at the shape of the meadow – which is polluted with sticky burrs.

I expect we will hear from him but his need to move is pretty urgent so there may be some issues to deal with there. I am glad I was there to help with the questions and to interject where needed. I spent some time with the father who was a delightful character. The buyer spent a great deal of time with the realtor – forming a strategy, I assume.

Mama and I were worn out enough that we both laid down – and ended up sleeping for over two hours. By the time I got up it was too late to make the drive to get the metal I had ordered. (I am picking that up today after work.) We had had several calls through the day from friends about properties we should go see so Mama and I went to Decatur to do just that.

We found the properties but none were what we are looking for. One was eighty seven acres for two million dollars. The other was an expensive acre and a half with an acceptable house. To find it we had to get Peggy to ride with us to it because we thought the one she was directing us to was the two million dollar property. That confusion caused some interesting conversation.

“Yea it is a brick home. Yea it is just off the road near Hwy 51. I didn’t think they had eighty seven acres and I can’t imagine they want two million dollars for it.” When we got all that sorted out both she and Mama felt better. And they both has a good laugh over the whole thing.

While we were with Peggy she asked a couple questions about some of the ramifications of our buying her property. Her main concern is the business her son runs out of one of the large buildings on her property. The building is full to overflowing with parts and equipment and the thought of having to move it is really troubling her.

On the way home Mama needed me to stop at Wendy’s so she could eat. She was getting the shakes since it had been a good while since we had eaten. When we left she could not find her glasses. We called Peggy, who did not find them at her house. We searched the car and could not find them. Finally we called the Wendy’s in Decatur. They looked over the dining room and did not find them. Mama was pretty bummed by that.

About an hour later we got a call from the manager at Wendy’s that the glassed had been found. He told Mama that a family had come in with a pretty rowdy little boy who spent the entire time scooting around on the floor under the tables. At one point he emerged and proudly announced, “Look Mama I found me some new glasses.” The manager hustled over and said, “oh, no you didn’t. Those belong to another customer.”

He put them on the safe and I will go retrieve them sometime today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment