Demo Site

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Mama’s phone disaster, weekend plans


With the heat finally settling into the area we are going to pick what we can in the garden and put it to rest for the remainder of the summer. Mama and I have never planted a Fall garden but I am thinking we might give it a try this year. We could get a second crop of corn and I could give okra a second attempt. There is some doubt as to whether we will still be on the farm at harvest time, but it would be nice to see something growing in the garden area for showing the property.

Mama is coming to Decatur today. We even had to make an appointment to meet at Wal-Mart so she and I could sign and deposit the check we have gotten to make the repairs to the apartment. We had to make the appointment because she dropped he phone onto the concrete floor last night and the screen went blank. The phone will still receive calls but it has no other functionality for the moment.

It is almost ridiculous how attached we are to those devices. Mama feels completely disconnected from the rest of the world right now – as if she cannot participate in the normal activities of life. It will be a sad and confusing day around the world if, for some reason, we lose our cell phone functionality. We might have to write notes to each other. We might have start wearing wrist watches again. We might have to have full conversations face to face; horror of horrors.

Cori, the children, and her entourage will be heading out from Florida this morning. We are praying for their safety and the safety of the vehicles as they travel in this heat. I remember when Mama and I traveled back from our honeymoon to Houston, where I was working at the time. We came to somewhere just west of Lake Charles, LA and it felt like we had pierced a heat bubble – something like the Dome. The sudden change in temperature was almost overwhelming. It was quite a shock for Mama.

I am still a little unsure what the agenda is for this weekend. I am up to speed on Trade Days – and we are still praying for an inside booth. We will not know about our placement until we register Saturday morning. At the very worst we are supposed to be near our friends, the Skills. If that works out we will be in the shade of some trees at least. I say “we” as if I plan on staying there for the day – NOT!

After the girls shut down at Trade Days we are scheduled to go to Peggy’s for a cookout and swimming. I am still not sure if it is a party for Blake or not but I think it is. It looks like I will be purchasing a cake for the occasion. I do not foresee Mama having time to make one but we will see. Cori has talked about Blake wanting to camp out for one night but I do not have a tent for them to use so I am not sure if that will be happening.

Chase and Makaila will be coming over Saturday morning and heading back on Sunday evening. Cori, et.al., will be heading back Monday morning – I think.

It will all be over so quickly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment