Demo Site

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Lazy night, dog issues, fun day, fun weekend ahead


I did not get into too much last night. Both Mama and I were feeling pretty tired. I had left Decatur in a hard rain and gotten to the farm hoping the rain was coming our direction. The storm carrying the rain turned south instead of west so we got passed by this time. I had to drive home with the windows down in an attempt to dry out the seat that had gotten soaked in the brief hard rain at the office. I only had the windows slightly opened but the winds pushed enough water through the opening that it soaked the passenger seat.

While Mama worked on clothes I took out the cleaning kit and cleaned the rifle and pistols we have shot recently. It was long overdue for all the firearms. I guess cleaning them is something I do not enjoy doing so it gets put off as long as possible. Once I have everything set up it is not a terrible chore – and I really should be more diligent about it. It is less expensive to maintain them than to repair or replace them.

Victoria’s dog Kira finally killed a chicken yesterday. It has been coming for a long time. She went into the coop and caught one of the younger hens and was chewing on the still living bird when Mama caught her. Needless to say, Mama was furious. If it happens again I will have to find a more permanent solution to the issue, but I will not keep, nor allow Victoria to keep a dog that will kill our birds. Victoria may not agree but I value the chickens more than the dog.

She is young enough that we may be able to train her past the propensity to kill, but I have my doubts. I do know that Mama is in a continual panic mode trying to keep an eye on Kira to make sure her chickens are safe. That is no way to run a farm.

Mama and Victoria have a full day planned today.  The morning is to be spent on farm chores and cleaning but the afternoon is to be spent at the pool. A friend of ours at church has a pool that is rarely used any more. She is in her late seventies and lives by herself. Her grandchildren are in Illinois so the pool sits idle much of the time. Today they are going to stir the waters and Mama is pretty excited about it.

Peggy’s house is one we briefly considered buying but the price is too high. It has almost everything we are looking for except the acreage. It has two very large buildings one of which has served as a shop for her husband’s business – now being run by their son. The secondary purpose to the swim is to be available when I get off work to go to look at a house in Bridgeport. It is one we drove by on Sunday afternoon.

Cori and the kids are going to head this way on Thursday – Lord willing. She is coming with a couple other ladies and their children but I have not paid attention to the final count or the agenda for each person in tow. I know Mama is fretting over Blake’s birthday party –trying to work that out is becoming a challenge with the set activities for the time they are here.

If it all works out, we should have a good time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment