Demo Site

Friday, August 12, 2016

All grown us, my little spill, ready for the rain, not many comets

This afternoon I fed Boomer his last bottle. Of course, he is not fully aware of that fact yet but he will quickly figure it out over the next couple of days. It’s kind of sad. The bottle babies are the ones that are the easiest to handle since they are used to being close to us and being touched by us. On the other hand, they can be the most obnoxious because they have no reservation about constantly being under foot. For now, having two bottle fed goats helps the other goats to trust us more easily - even if I have to dodge around them as I bring the feed into the barn. I tease Mama that there is no way to walk in a straight line with these goats.

As I was working on the goat barn today I had a little spill. By step ladder was not well set and teetered over with me causing me to land badly on my right leg. I did not think too much about it and went on working until I had finished getting up tarps to close off the openings that will eventually be covered by doors. (It started raining a few hours after I got things finished.) Now I am having a considerable amount of pain from the twist it put on my knee and ankle. Like most of these events, it was not how far I fell but the way I landed. This too shall pass, but I have to count this as my minor injury for the month of August. I promised Mama only one per month.

Mama and I had to put up several rain blocks to keep the chicks that are in cages under the garden shed from too much blowing rain. It is not pretty but it will be effective, I hope. Mama talked about putting them several other places around the farm but none of those choices appealed to me; too much work involved for a temporary cover. She loves her animals and will not allow them to suffer any difficult circumstances she can keep them from. Common thought is that chickens do not like to get wet, but I think it might have been good for them.

Last night was a little disappointing. It was still quite hot outside even after dark and the bugs are always on the hunt for fresh blood. They really like Mama’s. So it was not comfortable to stay out for too long and there was not much happening in our sky. I saw one shooting star and tracked several satellites as they passed overhead. I even waved - just in case someone was watching. But the one lonely comet was all I saw. I toyed wth the idea of getting back out in the early morning. I even woke up at 2 a.m. but I could not convince myself to get out of bed to go look again. If the show got better I will never know.

Tomorrow is bus calling, a wedding in the afternoon and very little else with the rain - and the pain I am in. But Victoria and Grandma and Grandpa are going to look at a ten acre property that might interest Norman. We will see how that turns out. Most of the ten acre properties are subdivided larger tracts that offer dozens of ten acre “country living” sites set one right on top of another. They are not at all like the one we have in Chico, But it could be good. You can only find out by going to have a look. Grandma and Grandpa are very excited because their lease in their current place ends in December and I think they are getting worried Victoria’s house will not be ready for them to live in by then.


I am concerned any good property - one that requires less work than Victoria’s house - will provide a good excuse to let her house sit idle. Time will tell.

0 comments:

Post a Comment