Demo Site

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Goat trim, signing, visiting

I finally got the time to get the trim in place on the goat barn loft. It was exactly what I needed to seal the upper wall to the lower roof. So tomorrow the north and south sides will be complete - and hopefully, sealed against the rain. I still have to finish the other two sides but that will require building barn doors for the lower ends and loft doors for the upper ends. Maybe by the end of the month I can have that all done. For now, we are in good enough shape to buy some square bales of hay to store in the barn loft. I will use tarps to seal the upper ends for now.

I had to stop working on the barn about 11 a.m. because I was getting seriously overheated. Besides, I needed to cool down and get cleaned up to meet our estate lawyer to sign the final documents of our estate plan. We still owe a balance on the work he has done for us and I asked to postpone the signing because we did not have the amount due right now. I am having to keep cash aside to pay repairs on the truck - when it is complete.

Instead, he asked us to go ahead and get the plan signed and in force and take whatever time we needed to pay the balance. To him it was more important to get the protection in place than to get him paid. Mama and I both very much appreciated that; especially that he trusts us to get him paid as quickly as possible.

After we got that done we went to the rehab facility next to the hospital in Decatur to look up a friend who is there recovering from a fall; her second in two months. This fall required surgery to correct some broken bones. We were disappointed that we were not able to locate her. She is probably between checking out of the hospital and checking into the rehab facility; no one was sure. Patient confidentiality would not let them disclose any of that information. (What a joke.)

But we did bump into a gentleman from our church that we did not realize was still in the rehab facility. We had a good visit with him. It really made his day. It is the third or fourth time I have visited him there but he should be going home this weekend. He told Mama that he had no idea just how much visits from friends would mean when he was laid up. He teared up as he recounted a newfound appreciation for such attention. It does not take long to say “I am thinking about you” but it means all the world for it to be said face to face.

Mama and I have always enjoyed visiting in hospitals and nursing homes and lately it seems we are called upon more and more to do just that. With my Dad in the care unit he is in I am not only grateful for the times Mama and I can make the trip to spend time with him, I am very grateful for those around him who take the time to give him their attention and love as well. It seems to keep him connected; as much as is possible right now. Visiting those who need us here is like paying it forward.

After that Mama and met a woman selling some children’s dress boots. Mama was thrilled with the purchase. I suppose Cori will be also since the boots will eventually fit Grant.

They are both funny about their affinity for footwear.


0 comments:

Post a Comment