Demo Site

Monday, August 8, 2016

Anniversary, our terribly unromantic day

Today was our anniversary. We were married 34 years ago on a Sunday afternoon. Throughout those 34 years we have stayed pretty much as in love as we were the day we married. If you do not believe me, just ask our kids. Years ago one of our friends in Victoria, TX asked our daughter Victoria (probably eight years old at the time) how in the world Mama and I ever found time alone; since we had seven children. Her answer, in typical Victoria fashion; “They just go into their bedroom and kiss for hours sometimes.” I suppose that is still true.

What I do know for a certainty is that I appreciate Mama more now than ever before. We have been through so much together in 34 years of raising children, to now watching grandchildren be born to those children and seeing those marriages now stretch into multiple years each that it would be impossible to do it justice to try to document even a small portion of it. God has been - and continues to be - very good.

We spent most of the day in the most unromantic of ways - working on the farm. While Mama worked in the chicken coop I worked on the pig enclosure to move the shelter to a side that is less prone to flood during heavy rains. I also worked on  cleaning out the barn. It was well past time to get that done. We are going to use the refuse collected there on the garden. I am only about half way through and we have a huge mound of manure - with some hay and dirt mixed in. Our plants will love it.

I took the time to order a thermostat for the fridge. It is not keeping cool enough unless I bump the thermostat with my hand every time the temperature gets too warm. When I do keep it agitated, the fridge works perfectly. The part cost about $25 and I was told that it is a very easy to replace. We will see. For now I have both fridges plugged in and setting in the kitchen - just in case. My only concern is that Mama will really like having two fridges available.

I struggled with a couple web applications for the better part of the afternoon and do not feel that I made any real headway - but I did try. One is an integrated calendar which allows bookings to be scheduled by anyone who has the link. The other is a lead page developer program. I am truly lost on that one. I did have a moderate amount of success practicing setting up the links I will need for each marketing campaign. I will have that down pat pretty soon.

Later we went to get some speciality metal trim I had ordered for the goat barn and while we had the trailer hooked to the Sequoia we picked up a replacement liner for the 10’ long cattle feeder we have at the barn. The calves tore up the old liner by stepping into it in a futile attempt to beat out the bigger cows. even though I had the trailer hooked up we went to Arby’s to get a jamoca shake - our anniversary treat - but the shake machine was down. Mama was a little bummed out by that.

When we got home I fired up the grill Victoria bought Friday night and cooked turkey burgers, pineapple, asparagus and some meat wraps Victoria wanted to try. As usual there will be plenty of leftovers for us to eat on for the remainder of the week. 

Mama and I will read a little bit as we settle in for the evening then we will probable go to our bedroom and “kiss for hours”. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment