Demo Site

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Mama’s massage, extreme heat, comets

Mama received a gift card for a massage some time ago and just got around to setting the appointment this month. It was set for 10 a.m and was about an hour away. We left pretty early so I could stop at a metal shop to get more screws for the red metal siding I am putting on the goat barn. I ran out yesterday. I did not really need to go with Mama but you know how that is. I needed the break and we made a morning and early afternoon of it. The place where the massage studio - I hesitate to call it a parlor - was set up was in a very develpoed shopping area. There were probably one hundred stores and restaurants around it.

As it happened there was a store called the Leather Sofa Company right next door to where Mama was going so I started off there killing the hour I had to wait. It was the most interesting furniture store I have ever been in. I spoke at length with the owner, a very pleasant fellow who really knew his business - and loved what he was doing. The interesting part was that the handmade leather furniture, built right here in Texas, was not much more than the factory assembled furniture we see at the big name stores. The quality was so superior it cannot be compared. We will keep his business card.

After lunch at Chipotle’s and a quick stop at Costco, we headed home; arriving home about 1:30. The temperature was 104 F. I had big ambitions of getting some work done on the goat barn but only lasted about two hours. I came in soaking wet at about 4 pm and dried out as I worked on the computer. I have to be careful where I sit when I come in like that because even though I hang my dripping shirt in the garage, I am usually soaked though my pants down to my knees. Once I sat in the rolling chair Mama likes to use at the table and she did not appreciate the dampness I left for her to sit in. I only did that once.

Forecasts are for cooler temperature and rain starting Saturday so I only have to keep the things I am watering alive for a few more hours before I get some relief - and my plants and trees do also. Unfortunately, the goats do not like wet weather; either cold or hot. And the dampness tends to bring out the worms, which can cause problems  with their health if the infestation gets too bad. Mama and I will have to keep an eye on them.

Almost every day our cattle, which are running with the neighbors bulls, come to the back fence of the property to call out to Mama. They know it is worth the effort because she almost always responds to their pitiful pleas for grain and range cubes. Lately the bulls have been with them, so they get fed also. I only hope we can get out ladies back without having to chase off those big beautiful bulls. They are not showing any signs of being stressed by the heat yet but we are thankful to be able to see them daily so we can monitor their health.

As the sky darkens tonight I am hoping it cools enough that we can spend some time outside watching for meteors without getting dripping wet with sweat in the process. Reports are circulating that it is going to be quite a show. We have the perfect clear sky for it and the moon is only half way into its waxing phase so it will not brighten the sky too much. 


It should be fun. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment