Demo Site

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Shooting with Jake, defunct refrigerator, our truck

Mama went to a funeral with Grandma this morning. It was for a woman Grandma had been visiting in the nursing home for over a year now. She was 102 years old. She missed her 103rd birthday by only a few weeks. At the funeral the minister spoke of all the events her lifespan had contained; two world wars, sixteen presidents, the Great Depression, etc. I do not plan to make it that far into the count of years but it is amazing to meet someone who has seen as much life as she had. She was a wonderful witness for the Lord for all of her adult years. What a testimony.

As Mama was at the funeral, Jake and I went shooting. I had left the backstop up from when we had our License to Carry class earlier this year so all I had to do to get ready was print up some targets. Jake had never shot a live firearm before so I only used the 22 caliber rifle and pistol. He did very well although he shook as he pulled the trigger each time. It was a trembling, yet fairly accurate, fifty rounds. 

I took over my single 410 gauge shotgun so he could feel something with a kick. I think that was his overall favorite even though he  showed fast improvement as he continued to shoot. The only issue we had is that the 410 jammed up after three shots and I had nothing to help eject the jammed shell. We went though about 150 rounds so he could have time to really get the feel of the rifle. We were only over there about an hour but he had a lot to tell his mom and dad when he called this evening.

I have to finally give up on the refrigerator I have been trying to repair. Even though I managed to replace what seemed to be the offending part, it still will not stay properly cooled unless we constantly thump the thermostat to make it start. After almost $300 spent and no improved functionality, I have to give up. I am at the point of diminishing returns. It was very disappointing. But I keep trying to remember that it is only an appliance that - at some point - can be easily replaced. Not having the money available to do it now adds to the disappointment.

 We went to pick up our truck this evening. Roger has had the truck for about six weeks now as he struggled to fix a problem with the turbo. He completely disassembled the turbo to find the non-working part but once he got there he found that it is not available for sale as an individual part. So he fixed the unit to a good functional condition and called it good for now. When he called the Dodge dealer to ask for any insights they might have, they told him he was the first person they had come across who had successfully reassembled one of those turbos.He is continuing to research how to get the turbo unit completely fixed but that may take some time.

While he had the dash apart repairing the a/c in the truck he put in a new heater core so we would not have to disassemble the dash in the near future to get that repaired should it fail. That was a good report but I cannot imagine that he charged me for all the hours he actually spent in making all the repairs. It may take him a long tome to get the work done, but he always does great work at a very fair price. 


It used up the last of the cash we had on hand, but I feel it was a good way to spend the money.

0 comments:

Post a Comment