Demo Site

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Acquiescence


After devising a plan to get the sheetrock done over the next several weeks a friend of ours called a young man who is starting his own sheetrock business (following in the footsteps of his father) and they came out yesterday to look the job over. Mama really liked them and they quoted us a price that was reasonable enough for us to give them the job. They will get started today and will be done on Friday. I have to admit that it does take a load off of me and the fact that this contractor will be using a crew to do the work gives me the assurance that they will be able to meet the time table they are committing to. Mama is already planning on painting the apartment on Saturday. I hope I have enough money left to buy the paint.

In addition to the news on the sheetrock, Mama got a call from a person who is very interested in buying the Flex. He said he is limited to the amount he is able to borrow from his bank and asked her to lower the price of the car to meet that amount but Mama told him she could not do that and advised him to go back to the bank to see if he could qualify for the amount we are asking. I do not know if we will hear from him again but it was reassuring to get the call, even if it does not work out.

I spent the evening setting posts for the front porch of the apartment. I should probably say post. I only set the one. On Saturday I started the holes but because the ground was so hard and so packed I poured water into the impressions I had made in the ground and came back last night to finish the holes. I only got one to the depth I needed. The other one I refilled with water and will complete it this evening – hopefully.

I also cleared everything out of the apartment and laundry room so the sheetrock crew could have free access to all areas. There was not too much in there but I wanted to make sure they did not have to move things to get their work done. I also covered the cabinets I have setting in the shop so they do not get bumped or scratched up. They are not near the apartment but you never know what can happen when a crew comes into an area as small as the apartment. They will need someplace to set up whatever gear they have and I wanted to be ready. It is hard for me to give in and  pay to have the work done but it will be nice to have it done completely and hopefully done well.

We are having a real battle with sand burrs. They seem to be the only plant that truly thrives in the drought we are experiencing and the dogs constantly bring them into the mobile home. They also stick to my pant legs and the bottom of my work boots. So I am guilty of polluting the house as well. Anyway, Mama spends time every day getting them collected and thrown away – and still we step on a stray one in the strangest places. Last night I got one stuck in my foot while I was changing in our bedroom. I got another in the kitchen. That is why I normally wear some type of house shoes or sandals inside.

A song came to me last night and I sang it for Mama:

Little Grammy Fu Fu walking through the trailer pickin’ up the sand burrs and putt’n them in the trash.

Along came Mykenzie and got one in her toe.

She said to Grammy Fu Fu with a voice of woe:

Little Grammy Fu Fu I really need to have you walking through the trailer and pickin’ all the burrs.

Mama got mad at me because she got the song stuck in her head.

Pray for Maggie. She is having trouble sleeping; partly because Aaron is away this week in training but mostly because she is in the final few weeks of her pregnancy. She has trouble deciding which is the strongest contributing factor but when her husband returns and the discomfort continues she will have her answer.

Pray for Victoria. She seems to be one of those persons that get sick a couple times a year and each time it lasts six months. We cannot seem to get her well for more than a couple days before the malaise and low grade fever set in again. She is not really sick per se but she is not well either. She is taking Tincture of Teasel for Lyme disease. When she remembers it really helps her.

Mama and I worry about her.

0 comments:

Post a Comment