Demo Site

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

VBS, me and Mama


Last night at VBS we had about one hundred and thirty kids. Things went without a hitch and we ended up getting home a little before 10 pm. Victoria really enjoys these kinds of events and last night she was helping with the kids coming back into the sanctuary after they had talked with the altar workers. One particular little man gave her quite a challenge.

I should not call him a little man. He is only five years old but is over four feet tall and weighs at least one hundred and thirty pounds. He is a short-round Hispanic boy. We are seating the children by the grade they are in school. When I asked him what grade he was going in to and he said, “I’m Pre-K” my first thought was “yeah, right” but he really is. He is a good kid but last night as the service was ending and snacks and dismissal were at hand some of the kids were starting to get restless.

When Victoria asked him to set down and be quiet he had a little attitude to throw at her. One of those “you’re not my…” She calmly stated that he needed to respect his elders, do what she had asked him to do and to do it now. He asked, “Do you work at a Day Care?” “I used to but I don’t right now. Why?” “You remind me of someone,” was all he said as he did as requested. That made her evening.

We also got to meet the horse and dog that travels with the Walker’s. The horse is a little (32” at most) gelding that Bro. Walker has trained to do all kinds of little things from running obstacle courses to answering questions he is asked. Last night when the question was posed about the possibility of the boys winning the contest for overall points, the horse shook his head that they would not. When asked if the girls were going to win he nodded.

The dog is a Papillion, which looks like a large Pomeranian.  She also performed a few tricks just to whet the imaginations of the children in attendance. Both the horse and the dog, which rides in on the horse, will be used in the sermon on Thursday night.

Mama and I will be married for thirty one years tomorrow. It does not seem like that long ago that we met much less got married. It’s been a great time so far and I am looking forward to another thirty one or more years ahead – if the Lord tarries. Hopefully by that time Mama and I will actually have gained some wisdom in life and love.

One of the ladies that works for me here in the office in Decatur has a small whiteboard the she posts pithy sayings on weekly, if not more often. The one written for this week is, “I am beginning to think I will never be old enough to know better.”

True that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment