Demo Site

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Errands, more errands

This morning I took Mama to work so I could run a few errands. I had to pay the electric bill, check on being able to vote and take a drug test. Since it was early I went to the electric company to get the bill handed off - along with a check. I was not overly surprised they were opened but I was surprised to be in a line at the payment window before 9 a.m. On the off chance that the Wise County Elections Office was open early I went there next. And lo and behold, our taxpayer dollars were at work even at that hour. 

After researching our voter registration I found out that we were still listed on the rolls of Montague County. It was good we were registered but it is in the wrong county. The ladies at the office were very helpful. As it turns out, we will be able to vote in Wise County in the weeks prior to the national election - early voting. Since we are not listed in this county we will not be able to vote in any of the local elections but will be able to cast our ballot for state and federal elections. I can live with that since that is out primary concern. I knew I had missed the registration deadline but I did not know that that also covered any change in that registration; address, name, etc.

The drug test was anticlimactic. I found the center I was required to go to and got directions to the lab pretty easily. From there it was pretty slow. The technician working the drug testing was in no particular hurry - to do anything. However, when we did get started collecting the sample she was quite militant. “Empty you pockets.Put everything in the basket. Wash your hands with soap. Discard the paper towels in the waste basket outside of the restroom. I need 40 ml so fill the jar over the temperature strip or we will have to do this all over again. DO NOT FLUSH! DO NOT WASH YOUR HANDS UNTIL I TELL YOU TO!” I just smiled and went through the routine I have done dozens of times. She was not impressed. She was ready to seal the sample bag and tell me goodbye. I realize it may not be a pleasant job role but that should not ruin the entire day. Poor girl. On the bright side I washed my hands with soap and water twice today. That should hold me over through the weekend.

Once home I did set up my computer and sent out about 300 emails, created a landing page and contacted a company that had overcharged me for their services, all before lunchtime; at which time I was meeting Mama. I had to get all the little pints of ice cream we had bought and take them to the school along with stopping at Walmart to find a quart of chocolate ice cream for one of the students who did not like all the other seven or eight selections. Mama was not expecting me so it was a little surprise for her. After 34 years of marriage we still have those for each other. I spent the rest of the day at the church working on my business - waiting for Mama to get off so we could go to Costco for a few items. She was later than usual because he pastor was counseling with the parents of one of the students and Mama was tasked with watching the siblings.

After dinner at Red Robin, which was pleasant food in an unpleasant atmosphere, we finally set out for Costco. It was the first of many little ventures as we accumulate Christmas presents. This time it was PJ’s. We have to stretch ourChristmas shopping fun over many weeks to get the most out of our finances.


Mama really loves this time of year - once Halloween is over.

0 comments:

Post a Comment